11 | in the middle of the blizzard

writing about jean is so fun idc

———

Y/n didn't think she'd had a worse day in the army for all the time she'd been in the Cadet Corps.

''Jean, how far are we?'' Y/n asked through her mask. She wasn't sure if he could even hear her over the sound of boots crunching snow.

''I think we're almost there,'' Jean said and pulled his scarf down, revealing his pink, cold-bitten cheeks. ''Look, there's light over there.''

Y/n looked at where Jean was pointing ahead of them. There were two small bungalows in sight. Finally.

The coat was heavy on her shoulders, but it kept her warm as she trekked through the snow alongside her cadets. It was still snowing, snowflakes sticking to the bits of her escaping from her hood. She had a scarf covering her mouth and nose, though her cheeks still felt frozen. Her hands held her heavy backpack and she was so tired and cold already that she had no motivation to talk to Jean or Sasha, or anyone for that matter. They'd been going for hours now, though it felt like it'd been days.

''Come on! The goal is right there! Keep it up!''

The cadets made it to the two barracks — in front stood a man and a woman, neither of them wearing a hood. Y/n wondered how they weren't freezing.

''Nine hours and twelve minutes. Not a bad time, considering the weather.''

Y/n plopped down on the snow next to Jean, their friends standing around them. The cadets were finally allowed a break and Y/n couldn't be more thankful, stretching her feet in front of her. She wanted to take her boots off, but she also didn't want her toes to free and fall off.

Eren was breathing heavily as he sat himself on Y/n's other side. ''Thought we were gonna die out there,'' he said.

''No one ever said winter training would be so tough,'' Connie commented.

''Damn, I can't feel my legs,'' Jean said. Everyone had their hoods down now, but Y/n kept hers on. Aren't they freezing? It's not like that bonfire is keeping us warm.

''I wish they'd let us inside already,'' Connie sighed.

''I bet they're busy putting together a huge feast for us! Yum . . .'' Sasha spoke, her back facing the group.

Y/n snorted. ''It's definitely nice to dream, Sasha.''

''Hey!'' Reiner suddenly appeared in front of them. He, too, didn't look like he was freezing. How are these people doing it? ''Christa's missing.''

Y/n's eyes widened. ''What?''

''She was sticking with Daz since he wasn't doing so well,'' Mikasa said.

''Daz isn't here either,'' Reiner said. ''Ymir as well.'' Y/n almost wanted to roll her eyes. Of course she isn't.

''Maybe they're with the last squad?'' Marco suggested.

''Can't be.'' Reiner turned to him. ''The last squad, led by Thomas, just arrived. They never saw those two.''

The whole group fell into silence. Y/n snuggled closer to her jacket, bringing her knees to her chest as a sinking feeling formed in her stomach.

''You don't think . . . they got lost?'' Armin asked.

''Hey . . .'' Connie's breath was seeable as he spoke. ''They don't stand a chance if they're stuck in the blizzard.''

''Shit.'' Eren stood up.

He was about to walk away when Mikasa pulled him back by the arm. ''Eren!''