30 | in the middle of being free citizens

"That's the checkpoint with the weakest security."

"All right. We'll handle the next part," Levi answered Marlowe. "Get back to your squad before they suspect anything."

"Yes, sir."

The Scouts were currently hiding in bushes, waiting for Levi's command. Marlowe and Hitch started to walk away, but stopped once Levi called out to them. "You saved our asses."

Marlowe and Hitch saluted. "Sir!"

Levi looked back at his squad. "Let's go! It's our turn to go on the offensive!"

Y/n, Jean, Connie and Sasha loaded on a carriage with Jean holding onto the reigns. Sasha had her bow ready and Connie his swords, while Y/n held onto her shotgun. All of them yelled as they broke through a bunch of crates, infiltrating the camp and crashing through a bunch of MPs.

It wasn't long before they stood atop a hill, each of them on high alert. Shuffles were heard and Y/n and Jean immediately raised their shotguns.

"It's me," Levi said. He was dragging a man by his jacket.

"Captain, he's—"

"With the Interior Police," Levi cut Armin off and dropped the man on the ground. Jean lowered his gun, but Y/n kept hers pointed at the man just in case. "I've got a few questions for him. Let's move."

They found a spot in the woods where they were pretty sure no one would look for them and Levi got straight to torturing him for information. It was dark by then; Y/n stood on guard with her back to the scene, shotgun at the ready, not wanting to see the brutality. Everyone else was scattered around.

There was a kick, then a grunt. "Where are Eren and Christa?" Levi asked.

The man chuckled. "Look how bold you are. You just defeated a checkpoint full of recruits who barely knew which end of the blade was up. You think beating them up makes you some sort of hero?"

"Pardon our insolent behavior," Levi said. More grunts followed. Looking back for a moment, Y/n noticed Levi's boot in the man's mouth. She wanted to gag and looked away again. "But we're no match for the insolence of your mouth. I recommend you start talking while you're still able to use it. Where are Eren and Christa?"

The man coughed. Levi must've taken his boot out. "You're wasting your time! You'll spend the rest of your lives covered in mud and shit, chasing your tails inside the walls. By failing to turn yourselves in, you're sentencing your captured allies to death! Starting with the most guilty of them all, Erwin Smith!"

More grunts. A crunch, then a yell. Y/n didn't look back. "Shut up," Levi said. "That's for not answering my question. Even among the Survey Corps, some lives are more valuable than others. Our group of fools has already learned that lesson. Tell me where Eden and Christa are."

"I—I don't know!" the man cried. "They don't tell me things like that! Kenny Ackerman is a very cautious man!"

Y/n looked back then, at Levi and Mikasa.

"Ackerman?" Levi asked. "I know Kenny. Is that his last name?"

"Yeah."

"Well, he always was light on the details. Doubly so for the important ones. But you must have some idea. Here, let me jog your memory."

"Stop it!"

"You still have plenty of other bones for me to break," Levi said and grabbed the man's arm, pulling it back.

"You're completely insane!"

"Maybe I am."

Sasha suddenly lifted her bow. "Someone's coming from that way!"