15 | in the middle of the despair

I have to protect Trost. I have to protect my hometown. I have to stay alive. I have to protect Jean. I have to make sure my family has a home to return to.

Y/n stood on a rooftop on Jean's right. Marco was in their squad, appointed as the leader, and there were Connie, Christa and Daz. None of them moved.

''Are we . . . supposed to attack?'' Connie asked. From the corner of her eye, Y/n could see him shaking in his boots.

''I guess so . . .'' Christa said. She had anxiety written all over her face.

Daz was almost sobbing again, though he didn't try to run away. ''I don't wanna die!''

''You're not going to die, Daz!'' Marco turned to face the squad, all eyes falling on him. ''It's going to be all right, as long as we stick together and don't do anything too risky. We don't have to kill them, just distract them until the evacuation is over.''

How the fuck do you distract a Titan? Y/n didn't say that out loud as to not shake up the group any further.

''Marco's right,'' Y/n's voice was low. She looked ahead, at the two Titans that were starting to near them. Walking into the direction of the evacuation point. Where her family was. She felt a rush through her veins — was it excitement or fear? ''Don't do anything stupid, you idiots!'' And suddenly she took off, doing exactly what she'd just told the others not to do.

''Y/N!'' Jean yelled to the edge of the roof. ''Holy fuck, you are an idiot!'' Jean triggered her wires, sending him right after Y/n.

''Look here, you fucking bastard!'' Y/n yelled in anger as she flew in front of the Titan — who had been walking towards the evacuation point, but it averted its eyes at Y/n's voice. ''You fuckers are ruining my life!'' Y/n yelled as he landed on the Titan's nose, sticking her blades in its eyes and blinding it. She propelled herself off and jumped up, ''GO TO HELL!'' She rose her blades and was about to fly down and slay the Titan's nape when it wrapped its huge fingers around her body, trapping her.

She froze again. Her heart hammered in her chest as she realized what she'd done. What the fuck. Why am I here? Why did I run off like that? Didn't Jean tell me to stick together and not do stupid shit? The Titan opened its ugly mouth. Fuck, am I—

''Y/n, you fucking idiot!'' Jean's voice rang in her ears as the Titan's fingers were suddenly cut off — she felt a sting above her left eyebrow, but she ignored it. The Titan let go of her and Y/n quickly triggered her wires, sending herself up before she flew back down, twisted her body and sliced the Titan's nape with ease, spraying blood and skin everywhere.

She fell on a nearby roof, dropping to her knees and throwing up her whole breakfast. There was blood dropping from her forehead, mixing with her vomit, but she didn't care.

''Y/N!''

She threw up the last contents of her stomach, wiping her mouth with her sleeve. Then she looked back, seeing Jean land on the same rooftop as her. ''Jean, I—''

He suddenly grabbed her by the collar, bringing her up and almost slamming her against a chimney. Y/n's eyes were wide as she stared at his angry ones. ''You fucking dumbass idiot! What were you thinking?!''

''Jean, I—''

''You had one fucking job, Y/n! What the fuck were you trying to do, huh? Get yourself killed? Imitate Jeager over there? Huh?''

''Jean—''

''That was so fucking reckless! You were about to be fucking eaten—''

''Jean!'' Y/n finally pushed him back, choking as air properly entered her lungs again. The rest of the squad landed on the roof next to them. All four of them. No casualties so far. Y/n looked at Jean's angry face as he panted. ''I'm sorry, alright? I wasn't thinking.''