10 | in the middle of the shop

finished writing season 1 !!

———

Y/n was exhausted.

Not only from the tiring day of training, but rather from Shadis, from the pressure and expectations, from the fight for the top ten. She didn't mind it, usually, but she really needed a break.

''Fuck,'' Y/n muttered when she didn't manage to slice the titan nape properly.

''FOCUS, L/N!'' Shadis yelled from his horse under them. Y/n scoffed, flying ahead. I'm trying. She went for the next titan ahead of her, raising her swords as she neared.

''TOO SLOW, Y/N!'' Connie yelled as he suddenly appeared in front of her, slicing the titan nape perfectly. Y/n wanted to yell, but Connie was gone as quick as he'd appeared. Is this how Jean feels like when we steal his kills?

She took a sharp left turn, spotting another titan dummy. She lifted her blades and spin, cleanly slicing the titan nape off before landing on a tree branch nearby. Finally. She straightened up and knocked on her gas tanks. There wasn't that much left — just how much had she exhausted in so little time? She wasn't going too quick, was she?

''Y/N!''

She almost jumped as Jean suddenly dropped on the branch in front of her. A hand flew over her heart as she tried to calm down her racing heart. Jean placed a hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong with you?"

Y/n shrugged him off. "I'm fine," she said, facing away from him. Her hands gripped her ODM handles.

She was about to take off when Jean's hand found its way on her shoulder again. "No, hold on. You're off your game."

"No need to point it out, Horse Face," Y/n bit back, though as she looked at Jean's shocked expression, she realized she'd gone too far. "I'm— Walls, I'm sorry, Jean-Bo, I didn't—"

"It's fine," Jean cut her off, a smirk on his face. "Since you're so off your game, surely you can't get more titans than me this time, huh?" She scoffed. "Say, if you beat me, I'll treat you to some food tomorrow in town."

Y/n's eyes widened. She knew what he was doing, of course, but she couldn't back down from a challenge — especially when it came to beating Jean and his high ego. "Oh, you're on, Moron Kirstein!"

It was like something new had ignited in her. She thought back to their first time practicing with the titan dummies, how Jean had helped her there, too. She grinned at the thought, remembering she'd beaten him then, too.

Raising her blades, she sliced her first titan perfectly, then twisted her body to face Jean, who was flying behind her. "ONE TO ZERO!" she declared, laughing as she sped away again, missing Jean's grinning face.

"ONE TO ONE!" Jean called but a few moments later, causing Y/n to look at him and watched as he moved from his first slice to the second. "MAKE THAT TWO TO ONE!"

"YOU WON'T BEAT ME, JEAN-BO!" Y/n yelled as she twisted her body to slice another nape. Two to two.

Another titan dummy appeared in front of them — both raised their swords, each of them managing to slice one side of the nape, sending the red piece falling to the ground.

A whistle sounded through the forest. "END OF THE EXERCISE! RETREAT BACK TO CAMP!"

Jean and Y/n landed on a three branch again, each of them smirking at each other. "So, about that treat tomorrow?" Y/n crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Jean's eyebrows suddenly narrowed. "Huh? What treat? We killed that last one together!"

"Huh? No, my blade sliced through first!"