CHAPTER TWENTY

Today was a good day, a very bright one, it was a day to prince Albert's birthday party, I had woke up very early this morning to help princess Oliver pack up for the party. We would be riding with Audrey, her handmaid, Samuel and his personal guard in a carriage, it was a big carriage so it would definitely fit all of us. Since Audrey's engagement party, Arthur visited the castle thrice but she wouldn't see him. She was still upset at those words he said on their engagement party. Who wouldn't be?

Our luggages rode in the carriage behind us. The ride was smooth, no one spoke to each other, the atmosphere was tensed. I couldn't wait to get off.

We got to Avra. After Oliver, Audrey and Samuel met with the king, queen and princess Eleanor, Albert's sister, we all went to our separate bedrooms. I was asked to sleep with other maids in the maids room but Oliver disagreed with that arrangements so did Audrey, I guess she wasn't so bad. So now, I would be sharing a room with Oliver while Elie paired with Audrey. Samuel would be sleeping alone.

We settled in, got changed and went down to join the rest of Albert's family for dinner. Albert's parents were not as strict as Oliver's parents, they allowed handmaids to join dinner on the dinner table. I was surprised, they treated us equally.

I and Elie were so excited, we ate till our stomachs were filled, we literally ate whatever we wanted. I was so glad I joined Oliver on this journey.

We were the only guests that were spending the night, our kingdom was far from Avra. The rest of the guests would be arriving tomorrow morning including prince Arthur.

After dinner, we were taken on a tour round the castle. Audrey and Oliver walked behind the head maid that took us on the tour while I and Elie walked behind the princess's. Samuel sat this one out, he retired to his room immediately after dinner. Albert and his sister did same.

After the tour, we stood next to the princess's who decided to sit outside.

"Audrey" Oliver called.

"Yes" she reply playing with the flower she plucked.

"You have been avoiding Arthur" Oliver stated.

"Yes" Audrey admitted.

"He said things he shouldn't have. He is really remorseful about those things" Oliver said.

"Did Arthur put you up to this?" She asked.

"Yes he did. He is really sorry. Do you know he kept coming even when you didn't want to see him?" Oliver asked.

"You heard him say those things.....he said those things in front of everyone Oliver including me.....he said that in front of me" Audrey said hurtful.

"I know. He is sorry. He took too much wine" Oliver said.

"You shouldn't speak for him" Audrey said.

"I know I shouldn't. He would have spoken for himself if only you had given him a chance" Oliver said.

"Arthur isn't sorry" Audrey stated.

"Audrey, he really likk...loves you because this is far beyond like. He kept coming back. I think you should forgive him. Men are promiscuous, it is in their nature but if he is sorry about it, then I think he really is. Men have pride, if he can let down that pride to say sorry, then you are really important to him" Oliver said and I smiled at her. She was truly growing to be wise.

"You are really important to me Audrey" we heard Arthur say behind us, we turned to see him standing there looking towards Audrey's direction.

"How did you get here? I thought you weren't arriving until tomorrow" Audrey said as she watch him walk up to her.

"I rode on my horse as soon as I knew you would be here" he said standing in front of her and taking her hands into his "I would ride all over the world to find you. Audrey, I am really sorry I said those words, it was really irresponsible of me, please forgive me, let's us work this out" he said. Oliver suddenly let out an 'awwn' before we decided to let the couple be.

I walked back with Oliver leaving Elie behind. We got to the room door and met Samuel standing beside the door.

"What are you doing here?" Oliver asked as we stood in front of him beside the door.

"Amelia can we talk?" He asked. I turned to Oliver and she nodded.

"Okay" I reply and he held out his hand for me, I took it and walked out with him while Oliver walked into the room.

We found a quiet corner in the castle, there was stairs behind Samuel, we stood facing each other.

"So?" I asked.

"Amelia about what I said the other night......." He paused ".....I meant it. Look, I know I shouldn't have feelings for you because of this maid and prince stuff but I can't help myself. I think about you everyday" he continued.

I sighed before saying "you know this can't work between us" I said "I don't feel the same way for you" I added.

"You are saying you don't like me?" He asked and I shook my head slowly.

"I don't. I can't reciprocate your feelings because that is not how I feel" I say.

"So you don't like me?" He ask.

"I don't. I am sorry" I say.

He looked hurt, he shut his eyes for some minute and turned around, his back facing me.

"I am so sorry I don't feel the same way" I said.

When he didn't say anything, I walked away. I headed for Oliver's bedroom. She was lying on the bed and reading a book when I got in. I felt really bad for hurting Samuel's feelings but I really didn't like him. I just hope he didn't cry when I told him I didn't feel the same way.

Oliver dropped her book and looked at me at the door "did you tell him?" She asked and I nod as I walked to the bed and sat on it.

"He felt really hurt. I really hurt his feelings" I told her.

"It is fine. He will get over it" she said patting my back.