CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Everything was going smoothly in the castle, no events, no misunderstandings or conflict, no disagreement, just peace and unity. The castle was peaceful as each staff went about their daily chores. I would assist Oliver in taking her bath and getting dressed, after we would play games or stroll around the castle or read a book. When we got bored of our daily routine, Oliver decided to learn lady skills with Audrey who was preparing for her wedding with prince Arthur. Lady skills were essential for every princess who was due for marriage.

I got bored of accompanying princess Oliver to practice lady skills with Audrey, so I told her that I would join the other maids in doing petty chores. She agreed and spoke to madam Elizabeth about it. I was instructed to sweep the halls.

That wasn't a petty chore though, I had no choice. I needed to get busy.

Just like I ignored prince Samuel, he also did same. It was like we never spoke or even worse kissed. Everyone went about their business. It did hurt me though, when we just walked past each other without acknowledgement.

I wanted to hold him, kiss him, touch him, feel him, I wanted to.....love him.

I knew that wouldn't be possible.

So why was I nursing feelings for him?

Everyday, I wished he would just walk up to me. I really felt bad for refusing his love for me.

Deep down, I knew I love him.

But showing it to him will only encourage him to go against his father and his rules. Therefore, causing us harm. Because the punishment of a relationship between the royal family and slaves is death.

I wouldn't want that for any of us.

It is best we ignore each other.

After one week, all of a sudden, two carriages rode into the castle. We weren't told about any visit. Everyone stared at the carriages. A lady alighted from the one of the carriages, she looked really pretty, her black hair was packed up in a loose bun, she wore a blue gown and heels. The gown was tight till her knee length while the rest of the gown flowed on the floor covered in net that exposed the rest of her leg. Her luggages was rolled behind her by a maid, I guess to be her handmaid. She walked into the castle without minding any of us. I didn't pay much attention to her either.

After I had swept the halls, I went to princess Oliver's bedroom to prepare her for bed, I met her pacing back and forth. She looked really tensed and I wondered why.

"What bothers you princess Oliver?" I ask as I move to her closet to pick out her robe.

Oliver suddenly stopped and turned to me "that princess is what bothers me. Delilah or whatever they call her" she lament.

"Who?" I ask confuse.

"That princess that arrived today in a carriage. She is Samuel's arranged wife" Oliver said and I was shocked.

I couldn't believe what I just heard.

Prince Samuel's arranged wife. That was more like his betrothed.

Oh my, how foolish I was to nurse feelings for a prince.

This was heartbreaking.

My mind didn't register that just like his sisters, he could also be betrothed.

"You mean his betrothed?" I ask in a low tone, I couldn't even believe words came out from my mouth. I was too shocked to register the words I spoke in my brain.

I felt like my heart shatter into different pieces. It was like a stab.

"I wouldn't call her that. Father said he plans to betroth her on behalf of Samuel" she said.

I tried to pretend like I wasn't hurt but I was....I was really hurt.

"What did Samuel say?" I ask in a low tone expecting a negative answer.

Oliver looked disappointed as she sat on the bed before saying "he accepted to be betrothed to her"

The final pieces of my heart shattered. My expression changed. Hurt written all over my face.

Why am I hurt? Why does it hurt me to know that he accepted? I was the one who told him to get over me, so why was I hurt?

Princess Oliver noticed my mood but didn't ask me anything. She knew I have been pretending not to like him but deep down, I did.

I stared at her for a while before I averted my attention to the closet. I was going to pretend like I never heard what she just said. I picked out a nightie from the closet and dropped it on the bed.

"Are you okay?" She ask touching my hand on the bed briefly.

"Yes" I nod immediately. I turned to head to the washroom and Oliver followed me. She stood at the entrance of the washroom while I prepared a hot bath for her.

"I actually thought he liked you" she say.

My body became stiff when she said he likes me. I just bent beside the bath tub.

"Maybe he was only pretending to" I say sadly when I regain control of myself.

Was he?

"I don't think he would pretend to like you knowing the consequence of liking a maid. He wouldn't go through all those stress. I am still surprised that he just accepted" Oliver said.

"Your bath is ready" I announce.

Slowly, she undressed and got into the tub filled with warm water and soapy foams, she leaned her hair backwards. I poured some amount of soap on her hair before massaging it.

"I don't like that Delilah of a princess and I know Samuel doesn't either. I am surprised he accepted just like that. No complains, no refrains, nothing" she say.

"It is for the best" I say "she would help him get over me if truly his feelings for me were really" I add as I massage her adding hair ointments.

"Amelia" Oliver called as she slowly raised her head and turned to me "I know you are hurt. You don't have to pretend not to be. I know you like him just the way he likes you. I know you didn't accept him because of the rules and father" she say.

I sighed before asking "how did you know?"

"Amelia you are not just my handmaid. You are also my friend more like a sister. You can confide in me. You don't have to pretend with me. I know when you pretend and when you are being truthful" Oliver said as she leaned back again to avoid soap from entering her eyes.

I was silent for a while before saying "He is with delilah now. There is nothing I can do about it. Even if there was something I could do, I can't do it" I washed soap off her hair.

"You can't just give up like that. I would have really loved for you both to be together" she said as she used the soapy foams to wash her body.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask.

"Fight for him" she say.

"I should fight Delilah?" I ask confused.

She laughed "I don't mean fight like fight. I mean fight like win him over. I know he likes you already but you have to claim him now" she say and I chuckle.

"Well......I'll try" I say with a smile