Chapter 13

Chapter 13

This week we have a “Field trip,” for the students who did not go the previous year. Swordsmen and mages alike would be going. Since Swordsman have to practice fighting with their aura and must be good with hunting abilities, while mages must be able to connect with nature and find the element, they synergies better with.

Young mages could have a peaceful bonding with elements and nature spirits, while knights of level three-to-five could also come along and receive some training in the process of protection.

Elyon and his friends had returned to school. His brothers couldn’t attend the class since they were well above level six. So only Elyon and his friends attended.

Manikya was with Elyon while Fern was with the other knights since he came from a knight family.

The mage instructor clapped her hands with a wide grin. It had seemed she had changed slightly. She had a wide grin and a joyful expression.

“Hello students! Today is a field day! I wanted to take everyone outside and have fun connecting with spirits naturally. We have learned to take in mana from our surroundings and how to steadily circulate it through our mana circuits. Today you will learn to attract spirits with that mana and connect with them. You will understand some better than others. Remember, connect, communicate, and befriend. Don’t be afraid, and just have fun!”
She jumped up, and poofed into thin air. Everyone whispered amongst themselves and then started to walk around.

There was a magic barrier that didn't allow anything in or out of the selected area. So, while the knights practiced on the side of the forest, the young mages could work peacefully.

A girl with aqua blue hair and pink eyes circulated mana in her body and let out a soothing blue aura like waves. She was near a lake and a small water element emerged. It flowed out of the lake in a small puddle, then rose up.

It had bright blue eyes and looked like a small mass of water floating in the air as it dripped water slightly. It made a giggling sound before rushing towards the girl and wetting her hair. The girl laughed and played with the water spirit.

Another boy lay against a tree. Waving his hand gently against the small gust of wind that played with his hair. You could see a small wind spirit, that appeared similar to a hurricane the size of a preteen’s hand, jumping cheerfully in the fluffiness of his hair.

But nothing compared at the awe they had for Elyon, who didn’t have only one spirit or two,  but he was practically drowning in them.

You could hear chittering and giggling as he was on the floor. Fire elementals seemed to want to burn his clothes while water elements played with his hair and scolded the Fire Elementals.

Wind elements helped dry his hair from the water's styling. While earth took a nap by his foot. Other elements gathered as well as level two spirits.

Everyone was in awe of what they were seeing.

The instructor,  the most surprised.

Such...high level mana...I wonder..how much has he grown since we measured him...

Suddenly a sudden rumble and earthquake shake the ground. Everyone tries to find they're balance as the elements yelp and return to their habitat.

Nobody moves for a few seconds.

Silence fills the air.

“Nobody panic. It must have been something else entirely, you are all safe with us." Said the professor in a calm voice, but she herself, didn’t know what was going on.

The knight instructors appear. One man and one woman speak.

“Miss mage, do you have any idea that was?” he asks in a hushed tone so other students wouldn’t hear. I could hear.

“No idea, but best to not alarm the students, let us just stick close to one another for the moment.” They nodded in agreement and proceeded to train and interact with nature.

Elyon had found himself with Nick. Nick had a frown on his lips as he continued to keep an eye on the instructors.

“What do you think happened?” Elyon just shrugged while Manikya approached the with a few fawning water and earth elements who seemed to love his coral like hair.

“That was odd...”

“Ugh...I tripped when it happened...” Fern said rubbing his nose that had started to turn slightly red. Manikya couldn’t help but chuckle slightly and ruffle Fern’s hair playfully before walking back to the lake.

Slight pink dust could be noticed on Fern’s cheeks as he pouted and seemed annoyed by Manikya’s actions.

“Manikyaaa! What was that for!”

He said before following after Manikya, leaving Elyon and Nick alone.

Nick smiled softly and approached Elyon.

“So...I heard you attended the Second Prince’s banquet...was it fun?”

He asked with a smile.

I could only feel my cheeks become slightly warm at the closeness. I had decided to keep on the usual magic mask, and no one had taken the liberty, thanks to the headmaster, to tell those who didn’t know that I was Elyon the son of the duke since my father didn’t want that information known to others.

From the closeness he was, I could see his brilliant amber eyes, like two burning bonfires that would never cease to illuminate such harsh and dark nights. His pitch-black hair sends a sense of abyss that only his eyes could illuminate. If only he was not wearing that mask, I would have more chance in registering his sharp amber eyes, sharp chiseled jaw.

I looked away abruptly.

“Oh, um, it was...interesting...”

“Was the prince handsome?” He asked jokingly.

I turned to look at him surprised before smiling slightly.

“Well...he wasn’t half as bad as his brother..”

Elyon and Nick giggled.

“You...met his brother?”

Elyon sighed slightly annoyed.

“I didn’t really like his...manner of speaking...he definitely not what I expected...that goes for both of them.”

Nick smiled endearingly and spoke in a soft tone.

“So...in other words...you liked the second prince?”

I start blushing heavily and turn to look at him in slight alarm.

“I do not! I just thought that that he was...more pleasant to speak to...”

Elyon said in a nervous tone which made nick raise his eyebrow and smile in amusement

“Yes, yes, yes, I know Ellie, I'm just teasing you...” He said with an endearing smile.

Suddenly another earthquake happened and all Elyon was turn before everything ng went silent.

+*+*+*

There was an ominous feel now. No  one was around and the previously bright forest was now dark and decayed.

Curious chittering could be heard as small purple dots, I assumed were eyes, stared at me from  the shadows. What seemed like wandering souls, moaned and cried silently as they floating orbs passed as slow as a bee.

Suddenly I heard talking, and started walking in that direction.

...then....queen...haha...female lead...” A woman's voice?

I crept closer and silently, small shadow elements following me through the dark, slowly and cautiously.

“...you will...queen, it is guaranteed. I only want to be able to finally be able to walk this earth like the old days' sweetheart~ I will leave you with all the riches and kingdoms to rule. So... we got a deal...Kindle one...” The voice was slightly cocky, yet with a silvery tone. They sounded laid-back or lazy, like someone who could easily manipulate and persuade anyone they wished.

Kindle? Kindle Folk?

A honeyed sickly-sweet voice was heard next.

“Then...you spare the prince that I will marry, and I help you remove that seal, while also strengthening THAT seal...”

I got close enough to see the shadow of a woman lying on the floor as someone whispered in her ear near a cave.

“Good...well both get what we want.”

Then I saw it. Long silky black hair with silver-like threads at the very bottom. They wore a type of suit. It revealed his abdomen but covered his chest while also having a long coat covering his arms and black slacks. He was tall and slim.

In a quick motion they turned around and saw me, red eyes piercing right through me.

+*+*+*

A rush of creatures had stamped their way through the forest. Fifth and sixth level knights along with the two instructors moved to the front to protect the young mages.

All Nick did was look away from Elyon for one second before acting by reflexes and catching Elyon before he fell.

While the rumbling continued, nick yelled for one of the professors or instructors help.

The sorceress casted a protection spell as the animals went around it and fled from some unknown reason.

Nick put a hand on Elyon’s cheek which was burning up already.

“He’s burning up. We must get out of here...” he murmured; his darkened eyes hidden behind the shadow of his hair.

Manikya tried to keep Elyon cool with a bit of the magic he had learned while the water spirit helped him.

None dared to take of Elyon’s mask, no matter how mad it seemed.

The male knight instructor came over to help, but anyone who wasn’t Fern, Manikya, or Giovanni, would be growled at by the young male.

Nick brushed a strand of white hair from Elyon’s mask. He sighed and carried Elyon to one of the mage instructors for the time being.

Suddenly everyone quieted down. There were no longer any animals running past the barrier. It was unnervingly quiet.

The teacher did her best using healing magic on Elyon who was still unconscious.

The floor thumped. Then another.

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

It was loud. Something screeched loudly, a blood-churning shrieked.

A shadow figure appeared near the barrier the mage instructor made.

A couple of students screamed once the creature got closer.

Its body was distorted. With hooves like a deer's. A distorted body of a lion and wings on its back. The creature had blood dripping from its teeth as it started banging on the barrier. Students started to scream and panic, some even fainted from the fright.

The professors did their best to calm down the students, but they themselves were terrified of what they were seeing.

The monsters banged on the barrier. But no one knew what happened next after a flash of light expelled all demonic forces from there, and a long blew away some of the students.

• • • • • • • • • • •

1757 words