Chapter 15

Cardigan...

Couldn’t help...

But stare intently towards his desk.

He was experiencing a midlife crisis for the first time in his life.

His son.

One of his most precious treasures.

Had been carried by HIM.

Not to mention...

He.
Had been shirtless.

He was tempted to charge into the Palace with his sword in hand, but that would upset his precious son.

He sighed and dragged a hand across his face and brushed his hair back.

“What...am I going to do with these boys...”

…...

…....

~Meanwhile, in Eylon's room~

“Alisher!” Yelled Rhys excitedly as both boys played near a lake.

It was harvesting season, the summer solstice where the fields were ready to be harvested. Nothing was too advanced, and everyone was in regions, districts, separated.

All races judged one another.
Giants were stupid.
Elven were freaks.
Fairies were merchandise.
And Dwarven were not the most respected because of their height and size.
Beast men were used and treated as animals.
And humans were incompetent creatures.

While almost all races were able to use mana, humans were the only being's incapable of that. Yet they were still arrogant enough to even call the other races monsters for being different.

Alisher and Rhys lived near the edge of the village. They were outcasts, yet both boys did not know why their family was scorned.

Their mother being an old farmer who was as bland as anyone else. Her hair being black with chestnut-colored eyes. She was skinny to the point you could see the outline of her bones. To keep her children alive, she fed them her food.

Alisher, a boy with dark black hair that reflected the abyss, and ordinary chestnut brown eyes that shined like embers in the light.

And Rhys. A boy with luxurious raven hair that glistened as if it held stars. And his gorgeous gray eyes that held golden flakes to them.

Alisher smiled and threw water back at the laughing Rhys, who only held up his arms close to his face to shield himself as he laughed. They played for a while until Rhys heard someone whistling and decided to follow it despite Alisher’s wariness.

They found a man on a tree, whistling as he carved something on a regular piece of wood with his bare nails. THAT caught Rhys’ attention.

“Hello? Um, are you from a different race?” asked Rhys with a twinkle in his eyes. He was only 11 years old, yet he was always so curious and polite.

The man, stopped whistling, and smiled wickedly. A tree branch and some leaves didn’t allow either of the boys to see the upper part of the man’s face.

He had long black hair, and a wicked smirk. Unashamed of showing those sharp fangs. He wore a slim tightly fitted shirt that accented his chiseled and muscular structure. He was lean, and not too bulky. His sleeves were pushed up, and a long coat seemed to be wrapped around his waist as he sat up. He wore black slacks with boots. He chuckled.

“A different race, y’say? Nah. I'm ordinary. Just like ‘ya.” He chuckled once again. Something about that chuckle made both boys’ skin crawl, albeit for distinct reasons. Rhys crept closer as Alisher grabbed his shoulder and shook his head, his eyes filled with alarm. Yet Rhys did not listen and crept closer until he came into sight of the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. Crimson red eyes are like rubies.

The demon smirked.

“I’m Fenrir. Nice to meet you lads...”

~~~~~

Elyon woke up abruptly.

Who was that? He couldn't help but ask himself.

Elyon had finally realized how easy he had been going on himself. Yes, he was a genius, but that didn't mean he could keep on trying to live a simple life. No matter how ethereal this world is, it is just as dangerous. If the name was “My sweet Fairytale,” it wouldn't make sense to not put a dark twist, he just couldn’t figure it out.

Although he recovered faster than the imperial knights, he was still weak and mentally exhausted. Being so vulnerable. Helpless. He realized how he hadn't been giving it his all after making friends and adapting.

Elyon practiced using the Elemental spirits, but out of all of them, he practiced more with light. Not many ever saw a light elemental or a shadow elemental. Fire, Water, Wind, and earth were the primary and known also the easiest to control. Priests wielded some amount of light, but light spirits were fussy.

He stood up and sighed as he shook off his tiredness. He got up and went to change without Helix, who was running late that morning, strangely enough.

He got out of bed and immediately went to the training grounds as he did his newly added drills.

He lacked strength in his body and easily drained. So he used the time he got off from the academy to strain his body more.

~+At the Academy+~

Manickya and fern were in the courtyard during lunch as Manickya played with the water element.

“This wouldn’t have happened if I was more advanced in my training…I could have hel-” Before he could finish, Manickya interrupts him.

“first, it is not your fault Fay. Many other students had gotten lost in the forest because of that mana explosion. Not even the professors could handle the brute force of it and couldn’t protect all the other alumni’s without getting injured themselves. We are only lucky that Ell and Nick were one of the fortunate who didn’t get killed by monsters..”

During the trip. It had been found out that, that light was actually from a mana explosion. Someone had awoken with divine powers of light. It was so strong  it obliterated almost everything in sight that was corrupted. Many students had suffered severe injuries from the impact, and some were pushed so far, that they were already too late when they found them.

No one knew who it was, and it was currently being investigated by the imperial guards and paladins to find this person, the saint.

Fern sat down next to Manickya as he sighed.

“yes but...I can't help but feel like we could have done something so that neither Elyon nor Nick would have gotten hurt...”

Manickya glanced at Fern and saw his sad expression. One of hopelessness and distraught.

*thump*
*th-thump*

He sighed and gently placed the water elemental back in the fountain as he placed his hand on Fern’s shoulder.

“Fern. Look at me.” He said moving his other hand to under his chin, then used to fingers to gently make Fern make eye contact with him.

“It. Is. Not your fault. My fault. Or anyone’s. "Things happen for a reason”, maybe that is the same now. We can only wait and hope we see Elyon or Nick at least next week to ask him what happened.” fern nodded slowly and took a deep breath before smiling and nodding again.

They stared at each other, for longer than a second. Not able to break eye contact until they started to hear a lo of voices coming from where usually fairies hang out, so near the long terrain of grass with occasional trees.

Manickya and Fern went to see what was the commotion only to see a red haired girl hold light in the palm of her hands as fairies and other races came to see.

She smiled shyly and would occasionally look away from those that complimented her.

“ah, that must mean your  the saintess!”

“We should call the headmaster and tell them!”

“wow! I knew she was amazing!”

Fern and Manickya were a bit taken aback. She was a beautiful fairy with hair as red and orange as magma. And green eyes like emeralds. She was beautiful, and know for her kind nature.

“wow, who would have thought it was a fairy girl who had that much divinity…” it was most common for humans to have divinity, but it was also possible for a half-fay with human blood to also have divinity, who would have thought that much.

Fern was genuinely surprised, but for some reason Manickya didn’t really believe her for some reason.

“Yeah…Dabria Leila Meira…who would have thought…she was the one to command such a large amount of holy powers…” Manicka, no matter how he saw it, he knew, and felt it, she wasn’t the one.

Not far off, someone was leaning against a tree listening to the praises the alumni gave to the half-fay girl. He scoffed with his arms crossed over his chest, golden eyes glinting with contempt Mas he pushed off the tree and walked away.

“why would I ever want an imposter…”

1464 word count