Chapter 2

Cry’s P.O.V

“Welcome Cry, to Experience2013!” I recognised the voice instantly. I was the man who’d called me to confirm my place here. A guy who looked around 30 welcomed me as I jumped out my car. A long white lab coat hung on his shoulders with a name badge reading: Paul Whitfield. He seemed friendly enough with small crinkle forming around his eyes as he smiled.

“Hey,” I replied and reached out to shake his. He began to talk, filling me in on stuff I really should have been listening to but I was taken aback by the huge building behind him. It stood tall, blocking the sun from view and overlooked the car park which was tiny in comparison. Its walls were a light grey colour and large windows covering the first three floors, giving you a clear view of what was going on inside.

“This place is huge,” I murmured as Paul led me through the main entrance. I was met with a swarm of people, some in lab coats like Paul and others dressed casually. “Who are all these people?” I asked and looked up at him as he gazed proudly around the room.

“These are the minds behind ‘Experience2013’. These people make everything possible.”

“Cool, what exactly do they do?”

Up until now everything had been kept very secret. I wasn’t told about what I’d have to do, who else had been chosen. I hadn’t even known where this place was until they emailed me the address yesterday. All I’d known is that ‘Experience2013’ was taking place in Florida.

“I guess it’s about time I explained... but first let me introduce you to someone very important...,” Paul trailed off as a woman made her way over to us. “Cry, meet Miss. Anna Sharp. The founder or ‘Experience’.”

“Hello,” I greeted her with another hand shake. She smiled down at me but it didn’t look right with her sharp, businesslike features.

“Hello Cry, what do you think?” she asked and gestured around the room.

“It’s very... big,” I answered. They both laughed at my remark then told me to follow them.

“As you already know, you were chosen as one of the twelve contestants of ‘Experience2013’. What you might not know it that you’ll be working with five other contestants as a team. You’ll be living with your team-mates in one of the two houses we have on campus for the duration of the competition,” Anna explained as we walked into a small room behind the reception desk of the main lobby. I noticed a small box on a desk with my name written on it.

“The competition consists of you and your team-mates making your way through a series of... simulations. Basically, our expert team has discovered a way to create a virtual environment in which you’ll be expected to race against the other team to complete a number of tasks,” Paul added.

“A virtual environment?” I asked, adjusting my glasses and gripping the handle to my suitcase.

“Yes. It’s perfectly safe and controlled. All you need to do is enter one of the simulation rooms and we’re able to manipulate the environment around you. It’ll be just like you’re playing a game,” he explained. That sounded pretty darn cool, sounds like it’s actually going to live up to my expectations.

“But you have to follow a certain... condition,” Anna added, pushing the box towards me. I glanced down at the box, feeling my face fall sceptically. I should have known there’d be a catch to this.

“Go on. Open it,” she coaxed. I glanced between them both before tearing into the box to discover what mystery lay inside it. Peering inside I was met with something odd, something totally unexpected.

“What’s this?” I asked as I pulled out the white poker face mask. Thick string hung each side, allowing someone to easily fasten it on.

“You’re condition Cry... is to remain completely anonyms. You must never show your face to the other competitors. If you do you’ll be removed from the game immediately,” Anna answered sternly. I could see from her expression that she was deadly serious.

“You must never discuss your condition with any of the other competitors,” Paul added, his voice much softer. I liked this guy... more than Anna anyways.

Looking down at the mask I inspected it closely... I guess I could wear it. I guess it could be worse.

“Okay then. I’ll stay anonyms,” I agreed and pulled my glasses off. Luckily I’d bought my contacts with me.

“I’m glad to hear it,” Anna nodded then turned to Paul. “Paul, take him to meet the others.”

“Come on,” Paul told me, taking my suitcase and leaving the room. Before leaving the room I tied the white ceramic mask to my face, making sure it was tightly fixed then glancing at my reflection in the window. So... this was Cry from now on.

PewDie’s P.O.V

We’d been sitting here for nearly half an hour, me and ten other competitors. We were still waiting for one more to arrive.

“So... what do you think of all this?” a man with a clear Mississippi accent asked me. I couldn’t miss the twinkle in his eyes as he glanced around the room full of gamers.

“It’s unbelievable. Did they tell you about the simulations?” I asked.

“Yeah. These people have some serious talent.”

“Bro, you’re telling me.”

“So... who are you?” he asked me curiously.
“I’m PewDiePie. You?”

“CinnamonToastKen... but you can call me Ken,” he laughed. “I used to have a beard ya know,” he added sadly.

“Huh?”

“I cut it because of summer season,” he explained, shaking his head as if he’s lost something precious. “My poor chin was getting too hot,” he added and I couldn’t help but laugh. I think I was going to like this guy.

I have to admit this place seemed a lot more advanced than I thought it was. I’d thought we’d just be playing video games on a console but no... They had a way of making us feel like we were in the game. A simulation.

“So you’re... Swedish?” Ken guessed, noticing my accent.

“Yeah. I’m from the land of Sweden.”

“The land of Sweden? Sounds dangerous,” he chuckled.

We carried on talking for awhile, mostly about video games but I couldn’t help my mind from wondering to the condition I’d been told I had to follow. I didn’t quite understand it but they told me to follow it. They told me it would be important... “Contestants!” My thoughts were interrupted by Paul calling to us from down the corridor. Ken and I sheared a quick glance before turning to Paul who rushing into the room. “Our last man has arrived! Everyone... meet Cry.”