Chapter 46

Cry’s P.O.V  

Sometimes, there’s a thin line between the truth and a lie. Sometimes, telling a little white lie does no harm. Sometimes, you have to lie because the truth would just cause unnecessary drama.   

So, as I sat at the dinner table, Pewds and his family laughing and chatting around me, I didn’t feel bad about lying to Pewds earlier. I should do. I should feel guilty.

****

“Cry...why do you wear that mask?”

“I...I have to.”

“Why?”

“I just do.”

“Do you have to wear it now?”

“I guess not.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re brother isn’t here.”

“Then take it off. I worry about Felix. I want to know you’re not some creep.”

“You think I’m a creep?”

“I didn’t say that... Why do you hide from him?”

“I just have to.”

“...Do you have to hide from me?”

“...No.”

“Come on then.”

“...Fine but don’t tell your brother. He’d kill me.”

****

 My fingers brushed against the smooth ceramic mask as I remembered the look on Lisa’s face we I’d pulled it off.  She’s been shocked to say the least...although I don’t think she actually expected me to take it off. I had no reason to hide from her, it was only the contestants I had to hide from yet I found this mask becoming a part of my life. I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn’t really me it was just a condition I had to follow.

“Pass us your glass,” Pewds called to me, holding his hand out.  My hand fell from my mask and I handed it over to him. He glanced up at me, shooting me his signature cheeky grin then went back to pouring my drink.   

“So Cry, how do you like my Ostkaka?” Pewds’ mum, Andria, asked from across the table, referring to the Swedish cheesecake she’d made this afternoon. I peered down at the odd looking dessert and still found myself surprised by how good it tasted.

“I love it. Looks a bit strange though,” I chuckled.

“This woman makes the best Ostkaka going,” his dad, Thomas, smiled, patting her on the back and giving her a loving smile. I couldn’t help but envy Pewds slightly. His dad was so kind and you could tell his family meant the world to him. Yet, at the same time I was happy that Pewds had this. He deserved it.

“Cry,” I turned back to Pewds and he handed me a drink. Our fingers brushed slightly, making me shiver and suddenly want to take him back to the apartment so we could make the most of our last night alone.

Pewds’ parent’s house was only small and the four of us huddled around a small table in the corner of the kitchen. Some may have found the cramped space annoying but I enjoyed it. It allowed me to hook my foot around Pewds’ without being noticed.

“When is your flight?” Andria asked.

“Three in the morning. We should be leaving soon so we can get some sleep,” Pewds replied and sat up quickly. I grinned beneath my mask, knowing why he was in a hurry to get home.