Chapter 56

Cry’s P.O.V

I let out a loud sigh, stopping and folding my arms across my chest. I turned back to see Felix sitting on the ground. His suitcase was left abandoned beside him and I glanced into the window of the now empty house. All evidence that any of us had been there was gone, as if erasing our existence from there.

“What are you doing?” I asked, shaking my head and refusing to go back to him.

“I refuse to leave,” he answered simply, crossing his own arms and turning away from me.

I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed my mask which lay on top of my suitcase. Hopefully, Paul and Anna wouldn’t find out I’d broken their rules.

“Why are you putting that thing back on?” Felix asked as I fastened the string at the back of my head.

“I have to. Now, get up and stop being childish,” I told him but he didn’t move an inch. “I don’t know about you but I want to get this over with. I want to get our friends out of there and be done with this whole thing.”

He looked up at me, his eye growing dull and clouded as if he were holding back some dark secret. He’d been acting strange last night, sneaking to his room in the middle of the night, and when I followed him I found him sitting on the floor, speaking to his phone as if he were filming himself. I still haven’t figured him out; still don’t know why he does certain things.

“Please, Felix. Come on,” I coaxed, holding my hand out and he stared at my fingers.

“You don’t know how this is going to end,” he murmured, so quietly that I barely heard.

“Everything will be fine.”

He shook his head and I couldn’t help but feel like I hadn’t understood what he meant. At least he was getting up now, dusting off his trousers and grabbing his suitcase, mumbling how he didn’t know why he’d bothered packing.

I could do nothing but frown, wondering what the hell was wrong with him.

“Don’t you think you’re being a bit dramatic,” I scoffed, finally following him as we headed towards the main building. He glanced back, forcing a smile.

“Yeah, I’m just being dramatic. Ignore me.”

We didn’t say much else until we got to the main building. It was still pretty empty, just like it had been when we arrived back here. Only one receptionist sat at the desk but even she looked like she was getting ready to leave. I leaned over, staring out the front windows and finding the car park out front more or less empty too. My eyes fell on the familiar car parked in a space...my car. How easy would it be, to just run out and drive home, to grab Felix and disappear with him?

“This is weird. Where has everyone gone?” Felix asked, the grip on his suitcase getting tighter. He was so nervous.

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” I found myself asking.

He opened his mouth, his lips parting slightly before he shut them again. His eyes betrayed him though, telling me that he was keeping me in the dark.

What the hell was going on?

The past two days have been perfect and now...now he’s acting like this, like he’s terrified, like he knows something terrible that I don’t.

“Pewds! Cry!”

I span around to find Paul rushing towards use. There was no denying that he’d had a rough night. His hair was a mess, his skin pale and his eyes shadowed with purple smudges. It was funny to think back, to remember how much I’d trusted him.