Chapter 53

Cry’s P.O.V

The desert was easy. Shooting Stan and Max was easy. I didn’t know them, I’d never spoken to them and I found them hidden inside the cave my friends and I had hidden in during the first simulation. It helped. I was able to sneak up on them, shooting them both in the head before they even knew what was going on.

What I didn’t expect was for their dead bodies to fall to the ground, blood pooling around their heads until I it merged together. I thought I’d shoot them and they’d disappear but, no. I stood, unable to tear my eyes from their lifeless bodies, for five long minutes before they began to fade away. Killing them was easy but witnessing what was left of them was hard. At least they were safe now, respawning into the final simulation where we’d be able to help them.

“Go to the Glass House and I’ll send you to the second simulation,” Stephano spoke through a small ear device he’d given me. I’d followed his instructions, taking the long walk to the Glass House on my own, remembering how I’d been with my friends the last time, remembering how we’d all been happy...remembering how I wasn’t a killer back then.

And now I stood in the castle, the second simulation, face to face with Scott, seeing the relief flood through him as his eyes met mine.

“Cry!” he screamed, running along the corridor. I couldn’t miss the smile on his face, so genuine, so happy to see me.

Just shoot him. But, how could I? How could I shoot my friend?  He’s done nothing wrong...I can’t stand beside his dead body, having to face the fact that I was able to kill him.

“Cry! I’m...I’m so glad to see you,” he called, stumbling slightly in his rush to reach me and when he did, he grabbed my body, clinging onto me and breathing heavily into my chest.

“Those people fucking trapped me here! I thought I’d be stuck here forever...I...” He pulled away, wiping his eyes and laughing at himself.

Say something. If you’re too much of a coward to kill him then at least say something! But, what could I say? That I was only here to shoot him?

“Is everything okay?” Stephano asked through the speaker in my ear.

I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to have to do this. Why couldn’t Pewds use that gun? Why’d he have to be so clumsy?! Why does he me make me do these things?!

“Cry?” Scott asked, his face falling as I stood before him in silence.  I had to do this. I was helping him...shooting him was helping him.

“Come here friend,” I mumbled, opening my arms and pulling him into another hug. He laughed, calling me a sissy but hugged me anyway. With trembling hands, I reached into my back pocket and pulled the gun out, bringing it to Scott’s head.

It pressed against his hair, making him freeze and grow ridged against me. “Wha...What? I...,” he tripped over his words, undoubtedly realising what was happening. He began to struggle against me but I held him in place with me free arm.

“Shhh, it’s okay,” I whispered, feeling tears prick into my eyes.

“What are you doing?” he asked me shakily. His hands pushed against my stomach but I was rooted to the ground with guilt. If only he would calm down, that would make this much easier.

“Shhh.” I moved my head from beside his, pulling away a little and staring into his wide eyes. He looked like an animal, his eyes almost popping from his head in fear.

“It’s okay,” I soothed and pulled the trigger.

His body grew limp instantly. His legs gave way but I caught him.