Chapter 30

PewDie's P.O.V

I led Cry towards the cave, clutching his hand tightly in the hope that it may help. I didn’t need to see his face to see how nervous he was but this wasn’t something I could tell him. I had to show him.

The soft rain fell around us but it didn’t do much, we were already soaked through and through.

I could hear the voices of our friends from inside the shelter, a small fire had been made by Snake and Ken was sitting around it, his head hung low. Nicky had joined him, a small hand rubbing his shoulder gently as Snake leaned against the stone walls. Red was nowhere to be seen but I knew where she was. We all did.

“Pewds?” Cry stopped before he entered the cave and pulled me back a little. I turned to face him, trying to see his eyes behind that mask of his but it was no use. “What’s going on? What’s happened?”

I remained staring at him, not being able to find the right words to say.

 I wish we’d stayed up in that tree. It was much nicer up there.

 In the end I just shook my head and gripped onto his hand tightly, pulling him along with me as we went into the cave.

“Cry.” Ken smiled up at him as soon as we entered.

“Hi,” Cry replied but it was only half heartedly. He was worried for Russ. Instead of stopping by the fire I carried on walking, leading him deeper into the cave until we came to the small stone stair case leading underground.

“What’s this?” he asked, trying not to slip down the smooth rock as we climbed down.

“I have no idea. Russ found it,” I answered honestly. As we got to the bottom I could hear Red’s voice bouncing off the walls. The last time I’d seen her she’d been hysterical, yelling at me to leave her alone but she seemed to have calmed down now. Maybe coming down here was a bad idea...

I passed the small lantern which hung from the wall. There was only one and it provided little light but it was enough to light up the small corridor, enough to light up the large metal door in front of us. Cry’s step faltered slightly behind me but I kept walking, leading him towards the large door.

It was clearly bolted shut, the bolts welded into the framework making it impossible to open. A small rectangular window sat on the very top of it, covered by three thick metal bars. It looked like a prison door except there was no way to open this one. We’d already tried everything. It didn’t even have a keyhole. This was a door that was made to be closed.

And, just like I’d guessed, Red was sitting in front of it, her face hidden by her hands as she curled into the darkest corner, as near to the door as she could get.

“Red?” Cry suddenly pushed past me, rushing over to the broken woman before us. Her head shot up at the sound of his voice and she began banging her fist against the door.

“Russ! Russ! Cry’s here. Look!” she began yelling and scurried to her feet. I stood back, not wanted to see Cry’s reaction to what he was about to discover but also knowing I couldn’t leave him. I wrapped my arms around myself and turned away, looking back up at the staircase and trying not to listen to what was going on behind me.

Cry’s P.O.V

“R-Russ?” I stared into the eyes of my friend as he looked back at me through a barred window. The window was so small, only showing his eyes. I stared into the room he was in, cast in shadows and giving no promise of a return.