#4 Whispers

“Lord Loir.” The guard nodded– “What are you doing?” Loir turned to his side, finding Sir Seran walking towards him with his usual frown. “Visiting King Kired.” “Why? Aren’t you an ambassador?” Sir Seran glared at him. “What’s your business with King Kired?” “I’m close with him, I’m his friend. I simply want to have a chat with the King.” Friend? You must be joking. “Hm... sure…” Sir Seran stepped back, letting the guards start checking and removing Loir's current possessions. Weapons, sedatives, bottles, anything that can do harm; as well as paper, ink and pens, those that can inform are also removed and placed on a nearby table opposite to the door; required by law and rules that King Odie passed. Loir had visited King Kired multiple times before, once a week every Sunday, so he wasn’t carrying much. “Can I go now?” “Sure.” Sir Seran replied, still nearby. The guards parted the door and Loir went in. *Shut!* “Your grace.” Loir bowed and his grace looked up from his bed, flashing that gentle smile. “Lord Loir, how nice it is to see you.” Loir nodded, feeling his cheeks burn up a bit. “Come, sit with me.” His grace patted the bed beside him, removing his hand when Loir made a move to sit. King Kired lowered his head and whispered, “What’s happening?” “Your mistress has sent you a letter sire–“ “What is it about?” King Kired said, eyebrows slightly furrowed. “About her sadness, love and your newborn daughter. She’s asking for you to name the child.” “Tell her to name the child herself. What’s happening?” Loir nodded. “King Odie put down a rebellion after coming back from the wedding of King Fillian and his Queen. I heard rumours of your brother negotiating his own marriage but I cannot confirm." His grace nodded. “A small famine started last Sunday, it didn’t do much but it got out of control with King Odie’s low popularity; just yesterday news of another rebellion led by Lord Soren took place, gaining support from neighbouring provinces.” “… That’s all?” “From what I have observed, yes sire.” His grace’s smile became slightly wider, more beautiful. “Hm… Loir.” King Kired faced him, making him straighten up. “Keep on observing and informing me.” “Will do, your grace.” His grace nodded and turned away, a smile still kept on his face– *Cough!* *Cough!* "Uhm…" Loir bit his lip but, “Your Grace, won’t you do anything?” “No, I don’t need to.” “But your sickness is chasing you–“ “Like I said, I don’t need to. My freedom and glory is faster than this sickness.” He let out a chuckle. The moment Odie decided to not take my life is the same moment he set the beginning of his downfall. “You can leave now, Lord Loir.” Lord Loir nodded and proceeded to walk to the door, taking unnecessary concerned glances towards him. He appreciates it though. “Lord Loir.” He halted and let go of the door handle. “Yes, your grace?" "...Thank you.” Loir's eyes widened. “You are one of my most loyal and hardworking men, in fact, the only; and I thank you for your continuous service despite my current situation.” He heard Loir’s breath hitch and, “Y– your welcome, your grace!” He bowed deeply. “I’ll always be on your side. I’ll be the most loyal out of your most loyal, the most hardworking out of the most hardworking. I'll serve you, forever and ever, even in death.” He brought his head up, tense. “Thank you, I really appreciate that.” He nodded. “You can go now.” He nodded and turned around, opening the door and closing it but not before taking one more sight of him with a smile.

“The Earl of Alierra has been supported by the people from his land and some parts of Capierre and Odurea. We aren’t sure of the numbers but we’re sure that he had also received support from barons, counts and lords like him in the mentioned provinces.” His grace dropped his food and– *SLAM!* “Why hasn’t anyone informed me this to me much EARLIER?! Does anyone in this room even realise how important this is?!” Lord Comman swallowed. “I did, your grace, but you told me to tell the news tomorrow." Everyone stared at King Odie as he clenched his teeth and…– he took an inhale and exhaled. He stood up. “Tell me, how many nobles do you think have supported Lord Soren in Odurea?” “One or two lords have supported him there.” “Okay.” He turned to his side, to a man below the dais. “Get the horses and a few of our men ready. Call the Earl of Alierra for a meeting in Odjie, in the field, I’d like to talk to him.” “Just talk?” Lord Aliec asked. “Yes.” They nodded and King Odie sat down… Tapping his finger tips on the table… ‘Am I forgetting something?–‘ “Oh!” “Huh?” He turned below the dais. “Tell Prince Aurus that I left for Odjie when he arrives without me here. I would still like to meet him this week.” They nodded and Odie sat back down. “Is there anything more I need to hear?” Lord Aliec stood up and started his report, all while everyone whispered to each other, taking note of how he shrugged off an important matter. 'If only it was King Kired on the throne, he would’ve dealt with this before it was even reported.' 'Actually, no rebellions would’ve happened if King Kired was still on the throne.' ‘Yeah, this is the third rebellion this year; it’s a miracle that he’s still on the throne.’

Pren

Pren