#18 Trust

“So Kiness is involved… I’m not surprised. Though I disagree with your second report, I don’t think King Odie is collaborating with Regver. Maybe he had asked for their help and had helped them once in a while, but I don’t see any signs of King Odie being a puppet. If he is, I wouldn't be here right now.” The Baron nodded, defeated. “I understand, your grace, forgive me for such an accusation.” “It’s alright. I understand too, he had collaborated with them in the past after all.” The Baron nodded and took his seat, warily, glancing at the entrance of the hall. King Odie isn’t here, King Kired only; he and the others are free to let out their buried opinions about King Odie to the other King present. That is until he suddenly shows up. “Is there anything more that you'd all like me to hear?” Another Lord stood up. “May I ask where King Odie is?” “Of course, he’s heading to Wesriey, if he wasn't already there; to help defend the place from the army of the Earl of Alierra.” “Oh.” “Yes, unfortunately this civil war is still going on even with me now freed.” "..." “I’m planning to help and end this, so is there anything more to be said?” The Lord sat down and everyone glanced at each other. “There’s nothing more, your grace.” Everyone stood up as the King did. “Scribe.” “Yes, sire?” “I request a meeting with the Earl of Alierra. The date and place can be decided by him, though I wish for the place of our meeting to be neutral in this conflict. Also, no soldiers.” The King looked up. “Any objections?” “…” The King smiled, grabbing his seal and sealing the message. “I’ll be leaving then.” Everyone bowed and the King left, followed by Lord Loir. “Anything?” “Huh? Oh, trails still sire.” The King halted. “Forgive me, sire–“ “Increase the amount of men you’re sending. I’ll take care of the consequences.” “Will do, sire.” The King turned back to the front but he didn’t move. Instead, he rubbed his chin, looking down… “Hm… no, I’ll do that later.”

“What?!” “King Odie has released King Kired, sire. Under the agreement that they will rule together as co-rulers.” King Fillian ran his fingers through his hair. “But why?” “I don’t know, sire.” “It might be the civil war." "He has gotten desperate.” Lord Acrun nodded. King Fillian turned to the window, where a spring scenery could be seen. “I don’t trust that man. He probably still has his ambitions with him.” King Fillian turned to the two. “The big project in Lovuér was just finished right?” “Yes, sire.” “Okay, let’s pay them some tribute. I know we already have Queen Gemle to secure our friendship but I’d like to make sure, plus she’s not really our Princess.” The two nodded. “May I get Lord Aliach?” “Sure. Also, tell– Never mind, I’ll just tell them myself in our next meeting.” The messenger nodded and left. King Fillian returned to the window, to the spring scenery that his brother surely would've loved to spend time appreciating… Lord Acrun let out a long *sigh*. “I’m sorry for your brother, your grace.” “Huh?” “Your guilt is our fault–“ “I’m not feeling any guilt.” Lord Acrun looked up, finding the King just fine… “It was necessary, perhaps that’s heartless but I have a duty as King to do.”

The Earl was eating his meal in the hall along with his people. He had just won the castles south of his Earldom; one that, until now, sided with King Odie. They were celebrating, kind of… The whole banquet, apart from the music produced by the musicians, was quiet… really quiet– “My Lord.” The Earl glanced to his side, seeing a soldier. “What is it?” “A messenger, my lord; from the enemy, he is harmless.” “Let him in.” The Earl wiped his face and the soldier left, to return with the messenger on his side. “My Lord.” The messenger bowed. “A message from our King, King Kired.” Lord Pren swallowed as sweat trickled down his forehead. He peeked to his side, where his allies were. They’re staring at the messenger, ears ready and eager to hear anything that comes out of the man’s mouth. They probably didn’t even notice the Earl looking at them, or they didn't care… It’s over. “Pass the letter to our scribe.” The scribe stood up from his seat and took the letter. He walked to the Earl, showing the seal and let the words from the letter out. “That’s all?” “Yes, my lord.” The Earl turned to the messenger. “Can we bring soldiers?” “The King clearly states that you can’t.” “Okay, I’ll go.” He turned to his scribe. “This Friday, in uh… any place in Capierre, Nouterr if possible. Let him know that we’ll be bringing soldiers, I don’t want to cause trouble in our meeting.” The scribe nodded and finished, passing him the letter to seal.