#16 A Smile With Faded Feelings

King Kired drank his wine, staring at the view outside his castle, a great field of spring green at night. He stared down at his wine, his reflection of an empty man seen on his wine… He flashed a friendly smile. That’s more like it… He closed his eyes, a flashback of a great memorable memory flashing in his closed eyes. It was when he learned to smile a genuine smile, to look like a man who can be King, a friendly King for his people to be fond of, to love. Many rulers often fail at this, some are successful but not as successful as him. He’s the true ruler, he managed to rule his people, making them love him by how he managed to rule his face, creating the perfect image of a ruler for his people, for the world. God, thank you for giving me Lady Floran to perfect me, to help me perfect my image… He was so thankful. So, so thankful… and a teenager. He thought he was in love. He thought he finally found someone, that one and only for his life. But he’s just a teenager; so hungry for the thought of love and what it could feel like that every happiness he feels is thought of as love… Idiotic… I’m an idiot. It took so long for me to realise it and when I did I was so in love with the thought of being in love that I did not believe I wasn’t in love… Idiot. Now look what happened, I was defeated, stripped off of my title as King and locked in a cell. “"I’m sorry". That’s all.” The man nodded and left with the conditions of my words. Bastards my children with Lady Floran are but they’re still mine and they deserve the best. Well, the best that I can give to them. What a shame really, Kired, my son, is such a bright boy. If only I had married Floran… That’s impossible and I don't like that… *Sigh* I shouldn’t be pondering over the past. I have a destiny to fulfill, my prophecy. But- King Kired put down his cup and gazed at the lively view outside his window. -a "sorry" will hopefully be enough to make up for the feelings that had never existed. It probably isn’t but I have a job to do. “Come in.” The door opened revealing an emerging Lord Loir. The King smiled at him. “I’m free.” “Y-you sure are...” Lord Loir cautiously walked towards the King. “Couldn’t believe it?” “N-no, I just... yeah... I never thought it'd actually happen. You’re very bright, your grace.” The King let out a small glad hum. “Thank you. Sit down. Where’s his excellency?” Lord Loir sat down on a seat sitting on the corner of the fireplace. “He’s on his way, sire. He was interrupted by Bishop Ber–“ *Step* *Step* *Step* “Oh, here he is.” *Knock* *Knock* “Come in.”