Calling into the void 2 🍼🌡️

Littles: Seonghwa, San, Mingi
Caregivers: Ateez

No one’s POV.:
Seonghwa slept fitfully for the next two hours, while Yunho and Yeosang prepared lunch for their friends as well as a pot of jook for Seonghwa, hoping he’d be able to stomach it. Hongjoong was still by his side when he woke up from his nap, gently running his fingers through the little’s damp hair. “Hey there”, the leader smiled when he noticed Seonghwa glancing up at him, “How’re you feeling, Hwa?” – “I feew meh-“, the other groaned, struggling to put the sensation into words. His eyes stung with tears as he reached for his phone on the nightstand. Unlocking his phone, Seonghwa dropped it into Hongjoong’s lap and looked at the leader expectantly.

As Hongjoong scanned over his friend’s call history, he felt his heart clench. Lowering the phone, he cupped Seonghwa’s flushed cheek and cooed: “Oh baby. I’m sorry.” The little’s throat tightened and he looked away when tears spilled from his eyes. “Why- Why chu nuh-“, Seonghwa hiccupped, barely getting in enough air to speak in between his sobs. Pulling him into a hug, Hongjoong shushed: “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, I wasn’t there when you needed me.” The other buried his face in Hongjoong’s chest, crying into the soft material of his caregiver’s sweater. “My phone was silent and I didn’t notice you were calling”, Hongjoong whispered, “I didn’t ignore you, I promise. Hyung is here now, hm? We’ll get you feeling all better in no time, bub."

Though Seonghwa doubted he’d feel better anytime soon, he accepted the sippy cup Hongjoong handed him. Mingi’s sippy cup, he noted. Downing a few sips of water, he sniffled: “Mimi an’ Sannie otay?” – “Yeah, they are. Don’t worry”, Hongjoong smiled, “Yunho, Yeosang and Wooyoung are here to take care of them. And I, I am here to take care of you.” – “Nuh”, Seonghwa denied, shaking his head. He had never had a caregiver and would never have one. Furrowing his brows, the other frowned: “What do you mean, Hwa?” What did he mean? Seonghwa didn’t even know what he meant. Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone care for him? If not because he was little, at least because he was sick. It was okay to need to be taken care of when being sick, right?

The little looked so lost, Hongjoong hummed: “Thinking so hard will make your headache worse. Come on, let’s go to the living room and see if some jook can soothe your tummy. Is it still hurting?” Giving the tiniest of nods, Seonghwa sat up and allowed his friend to get out of bed. He was still indecisive when Hongjoong held out a hand, eventually rolling out of bed before slumping into the leader’s side. With his head spinning, Seonghwa leant against Hongjoong and the two slowly shuffled to the living room.

It seemed to take them forever to get there and Seonghwa weakly curled up on one side of the couch, closing his swollen eyes. A soft blanket was spread over his shivery form and Seonghwa blearily looked up, catching Yeosang’s gentle smile. Yunho lightly patted his hair in passing and Seonghwa was astonished how casually they handled the situation of seeing him regressed for the first time. Their behavior was so natural, it eased him further into his headspace. “Hwa, hey bub”, Yunho smiled, “I got you some jook. Maybe your tummy will be less upset when there’s something in it. Try?” Nodding tiredly, Seonghwa sat up and accepted the bowl.

The couch dipped next to him and Seonghwa looked straight into San’s worried eyes. “Chu otay?”, San mumbled. His fellow little still looked far too pale to him but to his relief, the other replied: “Stiww feew icky buh I be ‘tay.” – “I think Hwa caught a tummy bug”, Hongjoong explained, ruffling San’s hair, “But that’s nothing we can’t handle, hm? Maybe the three of you can watch some cartoons together later cause Hwa needs to take it ease for a bit.” San nodded and scampered off to find Yeosang. He really wanted a cookie but Wooyoung had said no, so maybe he could convince Yeosang to give him one.