01

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

' How long will you ? '

- Charlotte Wells

---

THE HOOVES OF THE HORSE galloped along the grassy pasture, plummeting down on the green grass covered in daisies.

The girl on top of the animal looked as though she was on top of the world. With her dark chestnut hair flying behind her and her ice blue eyes glaring into the distance, her tan skin making the color pop out, she looked like a person you would only read in story books.

The horse below her thundered across the landscape, nostrils flaring. The animal looked like a ghost. The sun reflected off it's pearly white skin, giving the illusion it was glowing.

The horse leapt over the white picket fence in it's way, trotting gracefully into the Cuthbert's farm.

The girl swung off the horse, leading it by the reigns towards the stable. She turned to the left as she saw Matthew Cuthbert walking out of the stable. "Where's Marilla?"

"Hey Charlotte. She's off over at Rachel's with Anne."

Charlotte frowned in confusion. "Who?"

She had no idea who Anne was, after being away for two days working to pay off her debt to the Cuthbert's.

"The orphan we asked for to help with the farm, turns out we got a girl," Matthew explained. "And we just got a French boy in today to help with the farm work."

"Cool." Charlotte nodded, turning away to lead the horse into the stable. As she looked up, she saw a boy in the attic shoveling hay. After putting her horse away, she climbed up the ladder to the hay storage attack, stopping at the top. "Need help?"

The boy turned to look at her. "You must be Anne?"

"Close, but no," Charlotte corrected. "I haven't met Anne either. I'm Charlotte."

"Jerry. Did they adopt you too?"

"No, I live here, and in exchange I work on the farm and house, for certain tasks anyway. And if I make any money, I give the Cuthbert's half."

Jerry raised his eyebrows slightly, straightening his straw hat. "Why?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Charlotte replied.

The two turned around as footsteps were heard storming up the ladder. A small red head girl appeared a second later, her face showing clear signs of being annoyed.

"How long will you be here?" she asked Jerry, then turning to Charlotte. "And who are you?"

"You must be Anne-"

"With an E," Anne cut Jerry off.

"Jerry. Jerry Baynard, nice to meet you," he told her politely, offering his hand out to shake.

"Baynard? Foolhardy."

"What?" Charlotte asked, her and Jerry exchanging confused glances.

"His surname means reckless or foolhardy," Anne informed her. "And who are you?"