22

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Yeah he is"

- Charlotte Wells

---

CHARLOTTE SAT BESIDE RUBY, scribbling words on her notebook.

Stuck to the wall behind her, were several of her poems, her works. She had gotten more comfortable with the three, enough to stick her writing on the walls of the club house Anne had built.

"When my older sister, Susan was proposed to he said: 'Father had given me the farm in my own name. What do you say, darling pet, if we get hitched this fall'?" Ruby smiled, looking towards each girl sitting by her. "Have you ever heard such a thing?"

"That's it?" Anne asked, her face scrunched up with disapproval alongside Charlotte's.

"Anne, he called her darling pet." Diana grinned.

"That proposal is about as amorous as Mr. Phillips doing role call," Anne replied.

"Jane says Prissy's convinced it will happen any day now," Ruby continued.

Diana turned to the blonde, grabbing her hand. "Prissy, you leave me breathless. Marry me, or I shall die choking on my love for you to the end. Will you have me, dearest Ruby?"

"No." The girl turned towards Anne and Charlotte. "I plan to have several beaus and be proposed to several times just to drive Gilbert Blythe mad before I accept his offer."

Charlotte clenched her jaw, turning to Anne. "Your turn."

Anne stood up, sucking in a breath. "For you, I will build a castle. With each brick forged in my heart with the fire of my transcendent love. Will you accept this exquisite diamond ring? What say you?"

"Yes," Ruby giggled. "Your turn Charlotte. Read what you're writing."

Charlotte looked down at her notebook, at the words she was scribbling on. "When I saw you first, it took every ounce of me not to kiss you. When I saw you laugh, it took every ounce of me not to fall in love. When I saw your soul, it took every ounce of me."

Charlotte looked around at the look of awe on the three girls' faces. "That's all I've got so far."

"Hang that on the wall," Ruby squealed. "It's amazing."

"I'm not done with-"

"Don't add anything, it's perfect the way it is," Ruby assured her, holding out her hand as Charlotte ripped the page from her book, pinning it to the wall. "Why is it you only write love notes?"

"I don't." Charlotte shrugged.

"Yes you do," Anne breathed out. "The most breathtaking ones I've ever heard. You are a true poet."

"Who are they about?" Diana asked.

Charlotte adjusted the hat on her head. "Me. Who else would I write them about?"

"There are several boys in our class-"

"And all of them make disgusting comments, so no," Charlotte cracked the joints in her neck. "Plus, none of them would be interested in me in a romantic way anyway, but do I care?"