05

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"You've got number three wrong"

- Gilbert Blythe

---

CHARLOTTE FELT IN LESS grumpy mood the next morning as she walked with Anne, walking as she finished the work she didn't get time to finish yesterday. She eventually looked up as she felt her slate being plucked straight out of her hands.

She rolled her eyes, seeing Billy glancing at the sums on the chalkboard. "Come on give it back."

"Does Cocoa want her board back?" Billy sneered. "Don't you show off enough already. I'm here to talk to Anne."

Charlotte rushed to the side as Billy flung her slate to the right, stepping towards Anne. "You said some pretty nasty things about my sister."

"Who's your sister?" Anne asked. Charlotte tucked her slate into her sack, standing beside her.

"Prissy Andrews dummy."

"I didn't mean to be nasty," Anne said.

"Is that why she was crying all night?" BIlly stepped forward. "My parents say that's slander. You want to get slandered. I'm going to teach you a lesson. You're a bad dog."

Charlotte stepped in front of Anne, glaring up at Billy. "Just leave her alone she didn't know."

"Get out of the way," Billy scoffed.

"No, leave her alone and walk away."

Charlotte let out a groan as Billy grabbed her by the collar, slamming her into a nearby tree, anger clear on his face.

"Get off," Charlotte attempted to shove him away, the realization striking her on how much Billy had really grown during the school break. He had gotten taller, stronger. She hadn't. An emotion she hadn't felt in a long time invaded her insides, fear. If Billy could easily pick her up by the hem of her shirt, he could easily throw her around if he felt it.

"I didn't have a problem with you today," Billy glared at her, slamming her harsher into the tree, the crown of her head bashing into the rough bark.

"Anne didn't know, give her a break, Charlotte yelled, kneeing him in the stomach. "Just walk away. You've got problems with me but leave her alone."

"So I'm supposed to let her get away with the things she said," Billy snapped in her face.

"Or maybe you could think why your minor sister was hanging out with a man twice her age in a supply cupboard," Charlotte said loudly.

Billy's eyes darkened, his hand moving forward, grabbing a fistfull of Charlotte's hair, yanking harshly while moving to whack her into the tree for the third time. This time, the air left her chest as her body slammed against it. Her eyes widening as the wind was completely knocked out of her. Instead of solid breaths, rasps left her throat. Panic filled her insides as she continued wheezing for the air that simply wasn't there. Her hands flew in front of her head as Billy's fist face into view.

"Hey Billy."

She slowly lowered them as no impact came. Instead, Billy was turned towards the boy that had come at exactly the right time. "How's it going?"