40

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Why?"

- Charlotte Wells

---

Charlotte sat on a bench waiting for her train, happily writing in her notebook.

She turned her head, hearing thudding sounds. Her eyes widened as he ran into view. Gilbert leaned over, resting his hands on his knees until he saw her. He regained his posture and speed walked towards her. "I heard you were attending U of T. I am too."

Charlotte ignored the comment. "Gilbert, why are you here?"

"I need to board the same train. Also..." he trailed off, pulling out a sheet of paper from his pocket.

Charlotte widened her eyes, seeing the sheet was taped back together right down the middle with smudges of dirt on it. 

"After you left the fair I took it home and taped it together. After a Diana reminded me about it, I read it. Why didn't you tell me you felt like this?"

"You're with Winnie. It's disrespectful."

"I'm not with Winnifred. Not anymore."

"What? Winnifred was going to get you into the Sorbonne, your dream." Charlotte's stomach knotted in both relief and confusion. "You liked Winnie, I know you did."

"Do you have feelings for me?" Gilbert asked her. 

"Gilbert-"

"Do you, Charlotte?"

"Winnifred is better for you. You'd get nowhere with someone like me but with her you had your dream being offered right in front of you."

"I don't want Winnifred, Charlotte." The boy followed after her as she began to step away from him. She stopped as he grabbed her hand, spinning her to look up at him. His hand found it's home on her waist and those butterflies Charlotte felt, they flew through her veins.

"I want you."

Charlotte just stared up at him, not moving away from his grip.

"I want you Charlotte. I want your bad attitude and your personality and your everything. I want you to be the one wearing my mothers ring and I want to be the first person you come to for anything. I won't mind if you write thousands of notes to me, I'll read every single one. I want everything about you. I want you, Wells."

Charlotte only held his hand tighter.

"I knew I needed you when you began ignoring me."

"You'll get nowhere with someone like me."

"I don't care about that," he spoke loudly, trying to get her to listen. "I don't care if I get no where in life as long as I have you. I don't care if I go broke in the future and never become a doctor because I will still be happy because I will have you. All the those bad things will be okay as long as I do it with you."

Tears brimmed in Charlotte's eyes at hearing his words. She had never felt love in her life, had never felt like she could be loved by anyone. And now in front of her was a boy telling him he wanted her. "Why?"

"Because I love you, Wells."

Charlotte's had was still in his. She looked down as he began drawing circles into her palm with his thumb.

"I ran from Green Gables to here because Diana told me you would be here." He panted. "You think nobody would run after you, Charlotte. I would run across worlds for you."

Charlotte couldn't find it in her to reply. He had remembered her yelling these words to Marilla, and now here he was telling her he had done what she never thought anyone would ever do for her. 

"I've loved you since I first found out I was the only one that could make you blush and not get hit. I love you so much it hurts to know I made you feel like you were worthless and unlovable. You're worth everything to me and I'm so sorry i wasn't smart enough to realize it sooner."

Charlotte just looked up at the boy staring down at her. At his stupid brown eyes, at his annoyingly perfect curls, at the boy she loved more than she could describe.

"Well, you are the stupidest person I know."

Gilbert smiled at her comment, a low chuckle leaving his throat. "Can I kiss you?"

Charlotte smirked subtly. "No."

She laughed softly as his face dropped, before she wrapped her arms around his neck to bring him closer. "Learn to pick up sarcasm, Blythe."

He brought one hand up to her jaw, one to her waist pulling her closer to his. As their lips locked, he smiled into the kiss. At the fact he had her for a moment. And if she allowed him to, he would make her feel like the only person in the entire world for a lifetime. 

The horn of the train echoed in their ears as it arrived, sending a gust of wind throughout the platform. Gilbert's hands were tangled in Charlotte's hair as it whipped in the wind. Charlotte felt warmth burst through her.

She wanted Gilbert. She wanted to be the one he thought about when weddings were mentioned in conversation. She wanted to be the one he thought of whenever he walked past somebody selling flowers. She wanted to be his first choice.

And she was.

"I'll take that as a yes?" Gilbert smiled as he pulled away, still holding the girl tightly.

She rolled her eyes, scoffing and yanking his hat down to cover his eyes. "You're so annoying."

"But I get to annoy you for the rest of my life," he smiled down at her. "I'll take that any day."

Charlotte shook her head, before lacing her hand with his. He looked down at her once again. "You're my first choice, Wells. Now, forever and always."

Charlotte smiled up at him, pretending to roll her eyes. "Who knew you were so poetic."

"You're the poetic one," Gilbert replied. 

"Gilbert, all the letters and poems were about you." Charlotte told him, not breaking the eye contact the two held. "Every single one."

With Charlotte holding onto his arm, she and Gilbert stepped onto the train. Like they had so many times before. Only this time it wasn't Charlotte and Gilbert stepping onto the train.

It was Charlotte and Gilbert stepping onto the train.

Gilbert looked down at her. "Am I still insufferable, Char?"

She only gripped his arm tighter. "Always." 

---

28/03/2024

short chapter but it says a lotttt. 

I hyped this up way to much.

BUT AHAHHSHSHHEHEHEHE. did it live up to your guys standards?

CHARBERT BELLS I'VE DREAMED ABOUT YOU GUYS THAT'S HOW PERFECT YOU ARE. 

ugh, I'm so single. 

they're genuinely so perfect. 

charbert > shirtbert.