06

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"You're so annoying"

- Charlotte Wells

---

THE WHITE  HORSE TROTTED through the woods peacefully, the girl on it's back looking up at the sky. Marilla allowed her to ride her horse to school, she always did before Anne arrived. There was an open back paddock she regularly placed it as she was studying, then sat by it at lunchtimes.

As the horse's hooves pounded into the ground, it shifted into a canter. Charlotte looked behind her for a moment, before her horse skidded to a halt, letting out a fearful whinny.

"Gilbert?" Charlotte questioned rhetorically as she finally saw who had walked in front of her horse.

Gilbert straightened up his coat, quickly smiling up at her. "Hi."

"Can I help you?" Charlotte breathed out, squinting down at him.

"I just wanted to see if I could apologize to Anne," he admitted. "And since she's not with you I'm guessing she isn't coming to school today?"

"You guessed right," Charlotte straightened up her posture. "Well I'll see you there."

"Wait," he stepped in front of her horse again. "When you see her next, can you tell her I'm sorry and that I didn't mean to-"

"Do you know how humiliating that would have been," Charlotte looked down at him. "Anne's had a hard enough life and she was really enjoying school. She's attended for all of two days and each time someone managed to ruin it for her. Sort yourself out."

Gilbert widened his eyes in shock, not even getting the chance to reply before Charlotte cantered her horse away, sending leaves and dirt flying back at the boy. He watched as her hair whipped in the wind, continuing to watch as she slowly became a small shape in the distance.

Charlotte let out a groan, feeling a harsh nudge directed at her side.

"Charlotte," Anne whispered quickly. "Wake up, we have to go."

The brunette squinted, glancing out the window, towards the glowing shape in the distance. Somewhere in Avonlea, somebody's house was in flames. She rushed out of the room, not bothering to get changed out of her pajama pants and vest. As she sprinted out of the house, towards the stables where Matthew was preparing to ride to the town to help, the cold night air hit her, sending chills up her spine. Winter was coming, anyone could tell.

"Matthew I'm coming with you," she informed him, dragging a saddle from nearby and throwing it onto one of the horses. Not her one, she wouldn't risk riding him through burning flames. He was to precious to her.