19

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"You're back."

- Charlotte Wells

---

"SURELY IT CAN'T BE THAT AWEFUL."

Charlotte looked over at Diana. She would never say it, but Anne's hair was that awful. And probably worse than what Diana was imagining in that moment.

"I'm a monstrosity, Diana," Anne replied. "In fact you best forget me now and forever because I would never want to bring humiliation upon you."

Charlotte glanced towards the crowd of school children, laughing. The girls had gotten to school later, Anne not wanting to get out of bed out of embarrassment. Charlotte had no idea what was going on in the school house.

"Best take off your hat," Diana stated.

As Anne removed the hat covering the hair clipped down to her scalp, the appalled look on Diana's face changed to comforting. She untied the ribbon from her hair, tying it around Anne's head in a bow. "I made a promise, never to forsake thee. Besides, it's only hair. It will grow back soon."

Charlotte moved out of the cloak bay, towards Cole. She didn't even watch as Anne stepped into the classroom, all eyes landing on her.

"What're you drawing?" she asked, sitting beside him.

Cole didn't answer, watching as Anne moved through the crowd in attempt to sit at her spot. "Did you know Gilbert was back?"

Charlotte's face dropped, her gut flipping. "What?"

She followed Cole's finger as he pointed. The sight of the boy in the crowd of his friends hit her eyes like a truck. Gilbert was back in school. The one reason she enjoyed school was back. She bit the inside of her cheek, an attempt to hide the subtle smile growing on her face.

Just as she looked away, Gilbert's eyes flickered towards her. He hadn't seen her in almost a year, a weight on his shoulders he didn't know was there lifted.

Charlotte stood from her seat as Mr. Phillips stepped into the room, brushing past the crowd and sitting herself down in her chair. She spun around to face Diana and Anne. "You okay?"

Anne looked down at her desk. "No."

"Need me to punch someone?"

A small grin rose on Anne's lips. "No."

Charlotte nodded, spinning herself around to face the blackboard. 

Mr. Phillips stepped in front of the desks, glancing over at Anne. "It appears we have a new boy in class. Are you sure you're in the right place young man?"

Charlotte clenched her jaw, raising her hand in the air.

Mr. Phillips nodded at her. "Yes, Wells?"

"At least it doesn't look like a caterpillar embedded itself into her lip," she answered, not breaking eye contact.

Mr. Phillips went visibly red in embarrassment and anger. "Excuse me?"

"You're excuse." Charlotte raised her eyebrows, pointing at the chalkboard. "Please, continue with the lesson."