08

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"That was kind of you"

- Gilbert Blythe

---

 "SPELL 'AMEROUS'."

The class spelling contested were the most exciting part of the school week. Every student would line up in front of the board, siting back down when they spelt a word wrong. The girls cheered for the girls and the boys cheered for the boys.

Tillie sucked in a breath, beginning to spell her word. "Amorous. A-M-O-R...U?"

"Wrong, sit down," Mr. Phillips said from the back of the class.

The boys side of the room let out cheers, the closer they were to winning with each girl that sat down.

"Spell 'gorgeous'."

Moody began to speak. "G-O-R-G-I-"

"Sit down you butcher of beauty."

The last three people stood up were Anne, Charlotte and Gilbert. 

"Ostracize." Mr. Phillips said the next word, staring at Prissy.

Gilbert began. "O-S-T-R-A-C-I-Z-E."

"That would seem correct."

Gilbert earned a cheer from the boys.

"Haughty."

Anne stood up straight. "H-A-U-G-T-H-Y."

"Wrong," Mr. Phillips spoke without looking at her. "Charlotte?"

"H-A-U-G-H-T-Y."

"Callous."

Gilbert glanced over at the only remaining member of the girls side as Anne sat down. He knew Charlotte was good at her english. That was her best subject. He was math smart, she was english smart. It sometimes made him wonder, how someone was so good with words, but had the worst people skills he had ever seen. He had seen her school papers, and the way she formed words into sentences was something he would only find on papers under her name. "C-A-L-L-O-U-S."

"Penitent."

Charlotte didn't look at Gilbert. "P-E-N-I-T-E-N-T."

"Intentions."

"I-N-T-E-N-T-I-O-N-S."

Charlotte clenched her jaw, glancing over at Gilbert to find him already looking at her.

His dark brown eyes burned into her blue ones. Like the ocean clashing with the rocks at shore.

The spelling contests were often the same, Gilbert and Charlotte remaining out of the class while the rest of the students sat seeing if the girl or the boy would win. Sometimes it was Charlotte, sometimes it was Gilbert. Either way, it was a battle of the most competitive person in the class, and the most laid back person in the class.

"Persevere."

"P-E-R-S-E-V-E-R-E," Charlotte replied, cracking the stiff joints in her neck. She locked eyes with Gilbert. He smirked at her, before looking away as he was given his next word.