17

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"I can't breathe"

- Charlotte Wells

---

"SO I'M TEACHING YOU TO READ," Charlotte began, shoveling straw alongside Jerry. "And in return, you want to teach me French."

"Oui," Jerry replied.

Charlotte ever so slightly smiled, glancing out the window of the barn, watching as the carriage containing the Barry's and Anne moved out of Green Gables, becoming a spot in the distance.

"Do you believe the boarders about the gold?"

Charlotte turned towards Jerry, shaking her head. "No. I don't trust those men at all."

"There's something about them that just make me feel funny." Jerry shivered, shrugging his shoulders.

Charlotte clenched her jaw. She still hadn't told anyone she knew that Nate and Mr. Dunlop were the thieves that robbed them. She didn't know how, and she figured if Jerry didn't remember, why make him relive that memory?

"I'm going to go see if Marilla needs my help with anything," Charlotte mumbled, throwing her rake to the side and climbing out of the barn before Jerry could say anything. Her hand ran through her hair, tugging slightly at her scalp as she dropped it to sway at her hip.

She needed her notebook, she needed to get the stressful feeling brewing in her chest spilled on her papers before she snapped.

Her breathing was uneven as she rushed up the stairs, stopping as soon as she swung the door to her and Anne's bedroom open. The stress inside her was instantly replaced with anger as she saw Nate pulling out a crumpled piece of paper from under the bed, her eyes scanning the drawers that were yanked open and clearly searched through.

"Loose your pack of cigarettes?"

Nate straightened his posture instantly, scanning her over and throwing the sheet of paper to the side. "Ah, Charlotte."

"What the hell do you think your doing in here?" she snapped. Her notebook wasn't close enough for her to snap at, but Nate was, so he would have to do. "Get out or-"

"Or you'll tell Marilla I beat you and that French boy's asses?" Nate scowled, stepping closer towards her. "If you were going to tell anyone, you would have by now."

Charlotte glared up at him. "Maybe I was enjoying the blackmail."

"Or maybe, you knew nobody would believe you," Nate sneered. "Because why would they. You have no proof, your reckless and disobedient. And best of all, you're not family, or even considered it."

Tears of anger welled up in the girls eyes, rage like she had never felt before filling her from head to toe. Her chest rose and fell shakily, her breaths rapid and uneven.

She stared into space, tears threatening to fall as Nate looked over her head, towards Marilla behind them.

Charlotte shoved past the man, slamming her bedroom door behind her. Hatred hot and ugly roared through her, tears spilling in shimmering streaks down her olive skin. Charlotte couldn't hold in inside her anymore. A grunt left her throat as she picked up the closest thing to her, thrusting it against the wall. Anne's inkpot shattered against the wall, glass and black liquid spilling over the wood, over the floor. A corner of the room stained with the rage Charlotte felt in that moment, stained a deep blue.