11

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

" Hey, Wells. "

- Gilbert Blythe

---

THE LIGHT OF THE candle flickered across Matthews face as he lay on the bed.

"He's had an episode of the heart," the doctor said. "He's extremely lucky it wasn't fatal. But it could take a while to fully heal, months at best. No stress or work of any kind."

Charlotte glanced down at Matthew. Besides him, she and Jerry were the only ones who helped out, though Matthew did the main portion of it. The extra work, plus school, she would be utterly exhausted.

Hours later, Charlotte and Anne crept down the stairs to find Marilla at the dining table alone, reading through notes. "You should both be asleep."

"So should you," Charlotte replied.

The two young girls sat on either side of Marilla as she smiled at the two. "Wish I had a head for numbers."

"I'm a dunce at geometry, but I'm good at math now," Anne said. "Charlotte's good. Which part is troublesome?"

"Here and here," Marilla pointed.

"That is the amount Matthew borrowed," Charlotte informed her. "And the rest is rate of interest."

"Gosh, it's very high," Anne sighed. "And the payback schedule is very short."

Anne grabbed a pencil, scribbling down quick notes as Charlotte watched. "Matthew was counting on making the money from his new crops, wasn't he?"

Marilla nodded. "I'll have to go speak with the bank. I need some clarity."

"We're coming with you," Anne spoke, noticing Charlotte's eyes flick towards her. "Even if you won't keep me."

"Not keeping you?" Marilla said in disbelief. "You're a Cuthbert. For better or for first. No getting out of it now. And you both don't need to come."

"We do," Anne wiped her teary eyes away. "I know for a fact that when one is under stress it's hard to hear what is being said. It's as if the person speaking is miles away or underwater."

Marilla nodded. "We'll leave early tomorrow morning."

"You and Anne go, I'll stay and watch Matthew," Charlotte told them. She didn't want to go with them, to intrude. Anne was Marilla's 'daughter,' Charlotte wasn't.

"Very well," Marilla nodded. "Now both of you off to bed."

Charlotte was the first to stand up, and the first to leave the room.

Charlotte didn't own anything worthy enough of selling, nothing of value. She accompanied Anne and Jerry on their trip to tow. She rode behind them on the shire they were going to sell.