34

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"What did you just say?"

- Charlotte Wells

---

Charlotte sat alone on one of the table in the barn, hunched over her book.

As half the people in the barn stood to do the dance, she remained on the bench, her eyes floating towards Gilbert and Winnifred who had stepped on the dance floor.

As much as Charlotte tried to hate Winnie, she couldn't. Her smile was blinding and her blue eyes gorgeous. Charlotte knew deep down if Gilbert chose Winnie, there was nothing she could do to change that. Hating her would only hurt Charlotte more. The only person Charlotte could be mad at was Gilbert.

So she was.

She hated that he looked at her like he did when he was with Winnifred, yet he didn't even take her letter. She hated that it took seeing him to realize her feelings. 

She hated that he was the one those feelings were directed at because with Winnifred in the picture, he would never feel them back. 

Charlotte rolled her eyes as Rachel sauntered towards her, aiming to grab the girl my the arms. "What are you doing? Get in there."

"No," Charlotte replied, shrugging out of Rachel's grip. "I'm fine here."

Rachel grabbed the girl by the arms. Before she could shove Charlotte onto the dance floor, the brunette swatted her hands away from Rachel. "Stop telling me what to do. Do the dance yourself."

Charlotte stomped back towards the bench, sitting herself down and continuing to read. As soon as the dance ended, all the girls rushed towards Charlotte, standing or sitting behind her.

Jane glanced towards the floor, before back at her friends. "Gilbert has a secret sweetheart?"

"Charlotte, you're good friends with Gilbert, who is she?" Josie asked.

Charlotte clenched her jaw. "You're all friends with him, so why do you expect me to have information?"

"She's at least Prissy's age, if not older," Jane beamed. "She must be from Charlottetown.

"I need to get some air," Josie announced to her friends, before walking out of the barn.

Ruby smiled widely, glancing at all her friends. "Moody waved at me."

Charlotte let out a breath of relief, having the conversation changed.

"Wait so, you don't like Gilbert anymore?" jane confirmed.

Ruby glanced to her right as Josie re-entered the building. "Where have you been? Moody looked in my direction and you missed it."

Charlotte narrowed her eyes at Josie's fearful expression and the tangled bow at the back of her head.

As Billy entered the building, Charlotte watched his every move as he sat beside his friends, before glancing towards Josie and whispering in their ears.

While Ruby continued talking about Moody, Charlotte slowly began to piece things together. While their friend group left for the second dance, Josie stayed standing close to Charlotte.

The brunette glanced over to the blonde, watching Josie hug her body in her arms, lips quivering and discomfort written all over her face. "You alright?"