23

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"You alright?"

- Gilbert Blythe

---

Charlotte walked alongside Diana and Anne through the schoolhouse, stepping away as the two began discussing the new teacher.

"I know how it is to be judged harshly, I plan to pave the way for Ms. Stacy," Anne smiled, sitting at the seat behind Charlotte.

The brunette looked over Anne's shoulder, to see Billy walking into the building with a gun slung over his shoulder. "That fox is gonna be dead meat. I'll make it into a hat."

Anne spun around to face him. "Fox? What fox."

"The one with the dark tail that steals all the chickens," Moody replied.

Gilbert raised an eyebrow. "Well, there's no fox in here so why don't you put the gun away. I'd like to live to meet the new teacher."

Once again, the door spun open, a globe falling from the woman's hands and rolling along the floor until it hit Billy's leg.

The woman smiled. "I just laid the world at your feet, didn't I? Good morning everyone. My name is Miss Stacy. And please take that gun outside the classroom is no place for a weapon."

"I was just about to," Billy retorted.

Charlotte spun to the front, watching as the woman walked around admiring the run-down classroom. "Right, let's get to know each other. Please stand up."

Charlotte rose to her feet along with everyone in the class.

"Now please move all the desks to the side and take a seat on the floor."

"The floor?" Josie questioned.

"Has a pretty princess like you never sat on the floor before?" Charlotte smiled sarcastically, ignoring the glare Josie shot her. 

"We're going to form a circle and make introductions." Miss Stacy replied.

Charlotte stepped to the side, looking at the other girl at her table. "You lift that side."

The two girls carried it for three steps, ending with the opposite girl suddenly dropping it after being distracted by her friend. Charlotte let out a groan as the other side of the bench collapsed. She rolled her eyes, sucking in a breath and shoving the desk across the floor to the walls, ignoring the screech it made on the wooden floors. Charlotte sat beside Anne in the circle, across Gilbert.

"You'll say two words that represent you, using the first letters of your given name and surname," Miss Stacy announced once everyone was seated. "I'll start. Muriel Stacy. Mischievous. Scholastic. Let's start with, Ruby Gillis."

"Romantic... Girl?" She smiled, looking towards Gilbert. "Ruby Gillis."

Anne turned to Miss Stacy. "Ruby has a crush on-"

"Gilbert Blythe?" Miss Stacy called the next name.

Gilbert jumped up from the ground. "Global-"

Anne turned once again. "He traveled the world for a year."

"And bookish."

"Everyone thinks he's the smartest student."

Charlotte turned towards Anne, jaw clenched.

"Pricilla Andrews?"

Anne continued speaking to Miss Stacy. "But Charlotte won the spelling bee."

Prissy stood up in front of the class. "Pragmatic. Actualized."

"She left out former teacher at the alter," Anne interrupted. Charlotte turned to her once again, her eyebrows furrowed, matching the expression of multiple students in the classroom.

"Perhaps you'd like to share your comment with the class?" Miss Stacy questioned.

"It's no secret that Prissy was affianced to our former teacher, but justifiably fled the wedding," Anne spoke up. "I'll be happy to fill you in about everyone in Avonlea, because I was an outsider once too and I know how-"

"No need to provide me with gossip. I don't condone it," Miss Stacy said sternly.

"But nothing I said is a secret."

"If someone needs me to know something, they'll tell me. Why don't you take your turn. What's your name?"

Anne rose to her feet. "Anne Shirly-Cuthbert."

The redhead stuttered, desperate for words to come to her, but none came.

"I'm sure you'll think of some later, why don't you see me after class," Miss Stacy nodded.

Charlotte stood with her back against the school house, kicking dirt with her boots as she waited for Anne. She spun her head to the side as Gilbert pranced out of the building. "Oh, hey Wells."

Charlotte nodded a quick hi. "What's got you so happy?"

"Miss Stacy has offered to tutor me before school," Gilbert smiled. "I might be able to get into collage next year to study medicine."

"Good for you," Charlotte nodded again, her eyes darker and jaw locked harsher.

"You alright?" Gilbert asked, taking note of these things.

"Yeah, I mean, we're both the top students and I'm excited for you to beat me, fair and square," Charlotte said, her words more firm that her first few sentences to him.

Gilbert didn't have a chance to reply before Anne barged out of the school house, Charlotte following behind. "See you tomorrow."

Gilbert nodded, watching as she walked away. 

---

17/02/2024