TWENTY ONE

{ Unedited}

Trouble wasn't an absolute stranger in Geneva's books, and, perhaps it was because of the profound knowledge or the distinctly dark and dangerous glint she'd seen in Marcelo's eyes after her verbal liberation that sent a sharp  jolt of fear through her system.

Never  trouble trouble before trouble troubles you they said. 

Geneva  strongly felt  she  was about to  awfully discover  why.

Marcelo drew her into his arms as she gazed back up at him.

A  yelp  of  surprise left her lips  when he effortlessly carried her into his ever-capable hands  and began to walk the stretch of the pool.

" you know Geneva," began Marcelo. His voice a steady and deep as he faced forward, the focus of her gaze unreasonably stuck on his  jawline. And she hated it. 

His eyes dropped to hers on target and her breath hitched  before he stopped all at once.

" If the world of people who  knew me a fraction  were aware of  the consequences you're pardoned from because of  your  continual  blunter," Marcelo faced forward with a slight turn and began to move forward. The sound of his movement began to blend with that of water . " they'd no doubt do the unspeakable to you ."

Geneva frowned " And..?"

What was his poin-

Was that water?

Geneva's  train of thought shifted from the lane of the track completely from the physical world of being held in Marcelo's big and strong  arms, especially from  his body heat and hard outline that kept sipping  right into her own.

They were in the pool.

It downed on her that Marcelo had been walking  towards the staircase of the pool and the knowledge of it  broke forth the worst kind of alarm bells.

Marcelo had once dunked her in his bathtub for trying to remotely trace a route of escape.

How delightful of her to have just dared him to do his worst as he'd held her over the pool at his mercy.

" I'll stop it, Marcelo." She blurted out as they progressed further into the pool. Her arms went around his neck and she clung to him for life.

Not again...

Oh Lord, not again.

She didn't want him to do that to her again. Not that. It had hurt so bad. It had also been one of the worst things to experience where water was concerned.

The thought of  experiencing it again was an eldritch captivity that was begging to claw at her. 

She didn't want to again and her breathing escalated  into peak   anxiety by the second.

Was he finally going to kill her?

Like this?

She hadn't yet avenged her mother's near death. Damn it she wasn't ready. She'd been tolerating the idea of dying  but facing  it like this by Marcelo's hand terrified the shit out of her.

This man had killed so many in front of her eyes, and most recently she'd seen one of his most gruesome techniques yet.

Killing wasn't something difficult for him to do. Far from it, and Geneva felt her chest tighten and throat  clog up in alarm.

Marcelo chuckled lowly  and came to a stop. His gaze  dropped to hers nearly completely hooded and Geneva flinched at his inscrutable  yet decisive  gaze.