1-The Prank

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

-Vincent van Gogh

.....

New

"Are you sure about this, Phu? Will it be fine?" I queried as I rubbed the perspiration that ran down my forehead.

"Argh. We'll be fine, P'New. Don't worry." Phuwin raised his hands in exasperation.

I can't believe I have let Phuwin talk me into this. But then again he can talk to anyone into anything. I tried convincing him again, "Remind me why we're doing this? You know what happened last time, right?"

He gave me a look of complete incomprehension and shrugged. "You said you'll help me with anything, Phi."

"Chai! I'll help you with anything but this." I glared at him before muttering, "I don't wanna be part of your mad whims."

"Please, P'Newwie! Trust me, it'll be fun. You can't leave me behind now. Just this once, I won't do it again."

"But pranking Aunt Ann is a terrible idea, Phuwin. She's your mom! It'll hurt her. Let's just step back from this."

"I'm not Mr. Debonair Suave. Man up, P'New! We're not getting any younger, you know. And FYI we're just goofing around, okay? It is intended to be funny and not to hurt her." He defended himself with a fake French accent.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled at his failed attempt. "By the way, it's Débonnaire. Just in case you wanted to improve your fake accent."

"At least you're laughing now." He said with a proud face.

I heaved a sigh in despair. What will I do with this guy? I just can't say no to him.

"Okay, fine! This is the last time. She'll feel bad. You won't repeat it. Promise?" I asked hoping he would agree.

He took a deep breath and regarded me. "You're too gentle and so damn kind for this cruel world. You'll get hurt, P'New. And besides, stop defending people who are mean to you. Mom hurts you all the damn time with her words. This is me getting back at her for those times. But I don't want you to feel guilty or blame yourself. Don't try to stop me, either. And I don't wanna make promises I likely won't keep."

I could only gape at him in astonishment. "Did you just say that I'm gentle and kind? Wow, that's a first."

"I said more than just that." He shook his head, gave a sheepish grin, slightly hit my right arm and mumbled, "Shhh! Quite! She's here!"

We crouched down next to the kitchen counter. I was extremely anxious. Aunt Ann entered the kitchen and made her way towards the refrigerator. Grabbing a bottle of water, she sat on one of the Barstools.

Despite being in her 40's, Aunt Ann looked appealing. Her sunken eyes made her face appear somewhat hollow. She furrowed her eyebrows and creases formed in her face.

This was not the way I wanted to spend my weekend. Phuwin came to me first thing in the morning, asking for a favour. I should have known better. The favour, however, was another one of his pranks.

Ever since we were kids, Phuwin was the most mischievous and called himself a prankster. But everyone loves him. He's the easiest to get along with.

I glanced at him and he had a stupid smirk stuck on his face. This boy never fails to amaze me. A smile slowly crept up my face. God! I love this monkey, I thought.