15- The Pendant

"The world just kept turning, I never forgave it for that."
- Ben Breadon

~~~~
New

A year ago today, Earth informed me that he had been chosen to be a model. I was overjoyed, but when he revealed that his job would be in Paris, I became emotional and cried. Crying is something I seem to be good at.

Jokes aside, my heart was broken for a second time. I wasn't prepared for a long-distance relationship, but reminiscing about Earth reminds me that he's worth it.

Hearing his voice and seeing him smile through the screen makes all the hurt disappear in a moment. Having him hold me in his ears makes all my doubts fade away.

Eventually, I got used to this long-distance thing. Every kiss is a smile waiting to happen. Each goodbye is a reminder of how precious every minute is with him. I love him, and he's worth the distance because I know one day we will be together, and distance will be a thing of the past.

Earth bore a scar on his hip, which reminded him of his childhood encounters with swim fins. He is an excellent swimmer. On our first night together as lovers, I kissed the scar and he let out a deep sigh. He asked me how I knew exactly where he wanted to be touched, as no one had ever touched him there before.

Our romance was like a healing balm, mending every old wound with its magical powers until they were all tended to. We existed outside of time, tending to each other's injuries, sharing all our stories, and becoming fortified and ready to face the future together, hand in hand.

Earth came over today wanting to apologize to Dad for the other day, but this was a white lie so he could see me. As he stood by the window, I approached, gave him a back hug, and we ended up facing each other. Half-dressed in boxer briefs, we were not intimate but rather in that state as I had fallen asleep like that. Earth simply discarded his shirt, citing the heat.

"Earth," I whispered.

"Yes, baby?"

I lifted my pinky towards him, and he intertwined it with his. I teased, "Don't you want to know what we're promising about?"

He replied, "I'll promise you anything, darling."

"Without hesitation?"

"Without hesitation," he affirmed, grinning.

I kissed him lightly. "I have a bad feeling-"

"No, Newwiee-"

"Please listen to me. Yesterday, Aunt Ann overheard our conversation and seemed to suspect that I was keeping something from her. When I came out of the room, she made it clear that she would not allow us to be together. I sense that they may take action. Like," I paused, placing my hands on his shoulders, and he pulled me closer by my waist.

He chuckled in response. "Like... Advance the date of your wedding?"

I sighed. "Yes. Maybe." Given my father's determination, I envisioned the worst-case scenario.

His laughter faded as he realized the seriousness of my words. "That won't happen, Newwiee. But if it does..."

I asked him directly, "Would you wait for me if that happens?"

He reassured me, "Take all the time you need. I will wait."

His words stirred a profound emotion within me. "Why?" I questioned. No one had ever been willing to wait for me before. It baffled me.

"Because you are my everything. Whether it happens today, tomorrow, in a year, or decades from now, I will always be here for you."

I initiated the kiss once again and he tightened his hands on my waist. My hands instinctively tangled in his curls. The kiss was everything I needed in that moment. It was reassuring, intimate, and safe - a place to call home.