19-The Grief

“It takes strength to make your way through grief, to grab hold of life and let it pull you forward.”
- Patti Davis

~~~~
New

In the midst of all this chaos and while making peace with Tay, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten a major thing - and I am dealing with it right now. Let me make it clear. "Earth..."

"Okay, explain," he said sternly.

Despite his babyish appearance, I kept my composure, pausing only when Earth glared at me. "Listen carefully," I strode closer to him and firmly grasped his hand. "Whatever I say next, I need you to stay calm and focused."

With a firm shake of his head, he interrupted me mid-sentence. His tone was pleading as he said, "No, baby, please don't–" It was clear that he had a good reason for cutting me off and I knew I needed to listen to him.

"Earth, don't worry. We're okay," I lied, fighting back my tears.

Earth's eyes welled up with tears as he spoke firmly, "Things are not okay, Newwiee. I can't let you go off with someone you just met a few days ago. I won't allow it."

"I will return and I recall you promising to wait for me. I promise not to let you down, and I will come back to you––"

"Newwie, I would like to see you when I return to Paris in six months. Can we arrange to meet? I understand that marriage is a significant responsibility, but I hope we can make time for each other–"

I nodded, interrupting him. "Earth, I will always make time for you."

"Forever?" He asked, drawing me closer and kissing my forehead.

"Forever," I affirmed.

In the afternoon breeze at the park, Earth and I embraced each other by the lake, as our usual bench was taken by an elderly couple. Sitting on the grass felt as lovely, if not even more so, than our usual spot. "I prefer it here."

"We should have discovered this place earlier... It's beautiful," Earth remarked, gazing at me instead of the lake.

Blushing, I lightly hit his arm. "Shut up."

"Enough with the cuteness! Both of you are cringing me out. Shut the fuck up!" Inn exclaimed, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

Inn, I forgot he was also present. I felt embarrassed and blushed.

"Why is this monkey here again?" Earth asked, rolling his eyes and sticking his tongue out at Inn. Inn responded in kind.

"I am here to help you both meet, remember? Is it for the project with me? and Uncle Pong? Does it ring a bell now, Earth? Or should I hit your head to jog your memory?" Inn said, glaring.

"Don't be sarcastic. Let's not spoil the moment for us... We may not have the chance to be together again for a long time..." I choked up unintentionally at the thought of marrying another man, fearing the idea of leaving Earth.

If there existed another universe where Earth and I could reunite, I wish to be with him once more without the burden of apprehension about my father or any other hindrance.

I desire to be free from these circumstances. However, I acknowledge that the responsibility lies with me. If only I dared to defy my father and claim Earth as my own. If only...

"What exactly are you thinking about?" Inn demanded, locking eyes with me.

I shook my head, trying to stay calm. "I'm feeling overwhelmed, Inn. There's so much happening in such a short period, and I'm not sure if I can handle everything. I need some time to prepare and get ready for what's coming."