6-The Bidding

"Something in me wants more. I can't rest."
-Sylvia Plath

~~~~
Tay

"Where is he?" my father, Push Vihokratana, inquired as he took a seat beside Uncle Pong near the large sofa. "It has been nearly an hour, and he has yet to arrive. Do you think he will be able to make it?"

"He will come. He must," Uncle Pong murmured barely audibly.

For the past thirty or forty minutes, I have been struggling to restrain my frustration. Being kept waiting is something that I find utterly detestable.

I focused my gaze on the grand twin doors of the Techaapaikhun, fixating on them for an extended period before my eyes began to ache.

This deliberate delay is infuriating. He is intentionally making me wait and subjecting me to public humiliation. Who the fuck does he think he is?

"He is truly testing my patience," I muttered under my breath, shifting my attention to the cacophony of voices around me.

I turned around to face Uncle Pong, stating firmly, "Uncle Pong, if your son does not arrive within the next five minutes, we will leave. I have more important matters to attend to than squandering my time here."

Uncle Pong appeared downtrodden as he responded, "I deeply apologize for this. I have no idea why he is doing this. He was so happy about the marriage and was eagerly waiting to see you. I believe he is caught up with something. He's a good kid and he would never do such a thing."

The youngest son of Techaapaikhun reacted with disdain, rolling his eyes and exclaiming, "Can we all please stop this dramatic display? And Khun Tawan Vihokratana, why not depart immediately instead of waiting for another five minutes, hm?"

Before I could retort, Mrs. Techaapaikhun rose from her seat, raising her voice and stating, "Phuwin! Mind your language! He is your soon-to-be brother-in-law. You should not speak disrespectfully to your elders! Apologize this instant!"

"Lower your voice, Mom! I can hear perfectly well without the shouting. I hope P'New doesn't arrive tonight! He doesn't deserve this! I won't allow P'New to marry him!"

Phuwin stood and pointed at me while Uncle Pong approached his son, placing a hand on his arm. "Phuwin, I know you're upset about it. I understand your frustration. Why don't you go to your room and rest? College can be tiring."

Phuwin dismissed Uncle Pong's suggestion and forcefully swatted his hand away. "I'm not tired! I won't leave! Why are you doing this, Dad?"

Uncle Pong was interrupted as the front door opened, grabbing everyone's attention. A girl with fair skin and short hair stood there, appearing out of place in the scene. She closed the door behind her and took two steps forward.

My anger grew, and I questioned Uncle Pong sharply. "Where is your son, Uncle Pong? Let me guess, this is your eldest daughter? Everyone is returning home except your son!" My words were filled with frustration.

Uncle Pong gave me a disapproving look before regaining his composure and smiling at me. "Um... Tawan. That's my son, New Thithipoom. The one you will be marrying soon."

I stood frozen in place, utterly taken aback. I thought he was... a girl. How can someone look so beauti- What the fuck is wrong with me! I cleared my throat and composed myself. Why did I have to embarrass myself?

Phuwin's face turned pale as he hurried towards the front door and grasped the other guy's hand.

"P'New, why are you here? I told you not to come early!" Phuwin exclaimed, almost shouting.