11-The Red Lips

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

~~~~
New

Not once did he blink. Leaving me to question his origins. Was he perhaps an alien? I couldn't help but blame myself, as it was my idea to engage him in this staring contest. Little did I know, he would become fixated and refuse to divert his gaze. Frustration consumed me, and I finally decided to break the stalemate by looking away first.

Interrupting our peculiar encounter, P'Joss called out to me, "What are you studying, New?"

Reluctant to face P'Joss, who had been shamelessly flirting with me since I arrived at this grand mansion, I briefly averted my eyes and responded.

I held my head low, hesitated, struggling to maintain composure. "I-I- electrical engineering, currently in my second year. At Siam Uni-"

To my surprise, P'Joss expressed his enthusiasm, clapping his hands together and exclaiming, "That's fantastic! Gemini and I also attend Siam University. Perhaps we could spend some time together!"

Who's Gemini? I should read the book Father gave me about this Vihokratana Family. His exuberance was infectious. Earth would have loved his company for sure. P'Mook gently shook me, jolting me back to reality. I had unintentionally neglected to respond to P'Joss. Meeting his gaze once more, I managed to muster a smile and nodded in affirmation.

"Furthermore, Gawin and Phuwin would also be delighted to spend time together. They are all delightful children," my father chuckled.

Yes sir, go ahead. Manipulating everyone here for personal gain seems to be your longstanding pattern. I felt repulsed by my own father. How can one easily engage in such behavior? Is he devoid of all humanity? He pretends to love his children, when in fact, he does not truly care.

"Why, Newwie? Why did you agree?" That is what Earth said. His words echoed in my mind like a recording. Did I overreact with Earth yesterday? Blame was unclear.

Earth seemed desperate as he uttered those words. For the first time, I found myself uncertain of my actions. My life has always been meticulously planned; when I will eat, sleep, study, work - all tightly scheduled and seemingly flawless.

Life, it seems, never adheres to our plans. If it were so predictable, it would cease to be life. I have merely existed, living like an automaton devoid of enjoyment. Yet, my loved ones have a way of extracting me from this labyrinth.

These unfamiliar faces, these new acquaintances. Each one carries their own stories. I felt overwhelmingly nervous. The situation compelled fear within me, but it appeared that I had no other alternatives. Unfortunately, my father now dictates my life, leaving me with no control over my own decisions.

My father has never exhibited any affection towards us, and there is a justified reason for his deep disdain towards me. Consequently, he treats me with utmost cruelty. However, it is disheartening to witness the same treatment being imposed upon P'Mook, P'Gawin, and Phuwin, as they have done nothing to warrant such coldness.

A father's love is deserved by all of us, regardless of the circumstances. Regrettably, some individuals simply do not possess the qualities necessary to fulfill the role of a parent.

While observing my father happily devouring his meal, I found it impossible to consume my own food. What on earth was I doing in this situation? I lamented the fact that I was singlehandedly destroying my own life. How can I free myself from this predicament?

One after another, individuals finished their meals and departed without bothering to clear their plates. In affluent families, it seemed customary to leave such tasks to the servants. Tawan, my fiancé, was also absent from the scene.