3-The Denial

"Fear is a Phoenix. You can watch it burn a thousand times and it will still return."
-Leigh Bardugo

~~~~

New

The kitchen basked in warm and radiant sunlight. The sizzling sound of onions caramelizing in the skillet filled my ears.

"You're a fantastic cook, darling."

I jumped at the unexpected voice. I turned around swiftly, only to see P'Gawin standing there with wide eyes.

He approached me slowly, gently taking hold of my arm, "Newwie, I'm so sorry. Did I startle you?"

"It's alright, Phi. Are you hungry? Can you wait for a few minutes? I'll finish it off quickly." I assured him.

P'Gawin's face lit up with a wide smile. "I will always wait if it's you who is cooking. Your food just melts in my mouth. Take your time."

Returning his smile, I resumed my cooking. "I thought you had a morning class?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Ah well, I might have skipped it."

"Holy mackerel! You mentioned it was an important class. Won't you get in trouble?" I exclaimed in concern.

P'Gawin gave me a reassuring smile. "Oh, Do not fret over that. I will handle it, hopefully."

"You're so chill, Phi. I wanna be you when I grow up." I confessed, my eyes glowing with admiration.

"Hey, Newwie! Are you calling me old?" He glanced at me, expressing discontent.

I burst out laughing at his face. "Just kidding. But still, why did you skip your class, Phi?"

"I can't tell you the details. But, if I'm being honest, I just didn't wanna face him. I had a little quarrel yesterday." P'Gawin responded, his countenance turning gloomy.

The atmosphere suddenly became oppressive. I lightly tapped his shoulder, prompting him to face me. "Is he a friend, or perhaps a boyfriend?"

P'Gawin rolled his eyes in response. "More precisely, he is an enemy."

"Aah. In that case, you should have attended the class," I suggested.

"And why is that?" P'Gawin inquired, raising his eyebrows.

I winked at him. "Are you not familiar with the adage? Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer."

"Newwiee..."

"What is it?"

"Your food is burning!" he exclaimed, causing me to gasp.

I turned around, only to see the pork balls floating perfectly in the boiling water. Hastily, I extinguished the stove and took a deep breath to compose myself. I glared at Gawin, who was now laughing uncontrollably.

"Fine! I won't do that again. But you're so cute when you are mad." He said, still laughing.

I glared at him, "Are you starting a fight?"

He shook his head, disagreeing. "Oh, no no! I wouldn't dare! Who would wanna fight with a chubby bull?"

"Are you calling me fat?"

"That came out wrong. I thought you'd like the new nickname." He said.

"Ew, I'd hate you forever if you call me that!"

He paused and made a face at me. He slouched against the wall, clutching his chest dramatically, "Ouch! That hurts."

I ignored him and handed him his morning coffee, which he gladly accepted with a sheepish grin, quickly drinking it down. I stood up straight, shaking my head at his childishness. "Take it easy, Phi. You might choke."