14-The Prepone

"She wanted everything, but in the end, she settled for nothing.
-Stacey T. Hunt

~~~~
Tay

"Hello, Niran," I said, annoyed.

"Mr. Tawan, are you late for the emergency board meeting?" Niran asked.

"I'm late? When did that start? What's the meeting about?"

"It's almost over, and I called to make sure you weren't running late."

"Who organized it?"

"Mr. Vihokratana did. If he didn't inform you, I wasn't sure..."

"Dad set this up? Why?"

"Sorry, Mr. Tawan, I have to hang up. Apologies for the inconvenience."

I was left standing, contemplating Niran's unwavering loyalty to my father. I couldn't let him go due to his knowledge of the Vihokratana Cartel. Why did my father arrange a meeting without informing me? What's his motive? With a throbbing headache, I dialed another number.

"Tay?" Off spoke.

I sighed, keeping my composure. "What's happening at the office?"

"Um... Where?"

I groaned softly. "The board meeting. Why's it happening all of a sudden?"

He seemed startled. "We had a board meeting?! Who informed you? I wasn't updated."

"Ugh. Dad is scheming without informing me. He didn't tell you either."

"You know-" he hesitated before continuing. "Do you think it's related to your marriage?"

I wasn't certain. "Maybe."

"Are you with New?" he asked suddenly, changing the subject and chuckling.

I massaged my temple, feeling a headache coming on. "Can we not discuss him right now? I'm so over it."

Off chuckled. "Okay, relax."

"Are you available? I feel like getting drinks tonight," I suggested after a brief pause.

He shifted and cleared his throat before responding. "Rough day, huh? Alright, where should we meet?"

"Your place?"

"No!" he exclaimed before lowering his voice. "Gun's home. Shall we meet at Soi 11 instead? Then we can head over to Levels," he suggested.

"We could also go to MIXX," I added.

"Nah, do you only want to drink tonight?" he teased.

"Who are you talking to, Papii?" a voice interrupted.

"It's Tay," Off responded.

"I'll catch up with you later," I quickly said.

"No, wait a moment," Off insisted.

There were some muffled voices as Off and Gun spoke. After a minute, Off returned. "Sorry about that," he apologized.

"It's okay," I replied, gazing at the waves in front of me.

"Thitipoom is waiting for me. I'll give you a call when I'm ready to go," I informed him.

"Alright, bye now. See you later!" he cheerfully said before hanging up.

I remained where I was, pondering over the events of the day. Somebody had hurt New Thitipoom, but he wouldn't reveal anything. And then there was also the task my father had given me... to make New Thithipoom fall in love with me. I smirked at the idea. As I watched him sitting in the car, seemingly affected by our kiss, I felt a sense of satisfaction at having an impact on him.