4-The Wrath

"I can bear any pain as long as it has meaning."
- Haruki Murakami

~~~~

Tay

Our family possesses several enterprises not only in Thailand but also in various regions worldwide. I am responsible for managing half of the businesses, while my father assumes control over the remaining portion. Unlike me, Joss lacks interest in business endeavours, leaving me and Gemini as the sole individuals involved. Currently, I am the one solely responsible for overseeing these enterprises. However, I find solace in this role since it allows me to find respite from my reality.

However, the esteemed "Vihokratana Hotel", is renowned as one of the top establishments in Chiang Mai. It is particularly celebrated for its vintage charm, adorned with various antique treasures, emanating a retro and polished aesthetic. Each facet of the hotel exudes a delightful ambience; as if conveying a profound message.

The lobby boasts tables crafted from fine maple, while an exquisite chandelier, concealing candles within, adorns the ceiling. Each room is secured with a traditional key, and the luxury accommodations are equipped with elegant gramophones.

Throughout its illustrious history, numerous esteemed authors have sought inspiration within these walls, penning remarkable stories. The hotel has been in operation for a significant period, even predating my grandfather's recollections. Regrettably, I find myself unable to assume the responsibility of managing this establishment.

Lost in these reveries of idyllic imagery, I made my way towards my Father's office.

Along the path, I was startled by a voice calling out to me. "Mr. Tawan? What are you doing here?"

"Oh, Niran. I am here to meet Mr. Vihokratana. What are you doing here?" I demanded instead, my forehead scrunched up.

He shrugged, carelessly. "Same thing, Sir."

"Does this have anything to do with Marco Romano?" I asked.

"Not really. Mr. Vihokratana has assigned me some tasks for the day. Is there something you require, Sir?"

My forehead furrowed with confusion. "What work?"

His hesitation was evident as he cautiously replied, "Sir... I-I don't think I'm allowed to talk about it."

With a stern tone, I reminded him, "You know the rules, Niran."

About a second later, he spoke. "Mr. Vihokratana requested that I arrange flowers and wines for an event tomorrow."

"What event?"

Avoiding my gaze, Niran quickly averted his eyes, as if he were in discomfort. "I'm not aware of that. If there isn't anything else, Mr. Tawan, I would appreciate continuing with my duties."

I shook my head, letting him go. Business was good. And I knew how important staff was to that bottom line. I kept an eye on my secretary till he disappeared through the front door.

I worked my way through the VIP section of the elevator and waited. The interior of the elevator features a warm wooden finish.

I pressed the button for the twentieth floor, and just as the doors were about to close, they opened again.

To my surprise, Namtan stepped into the elevator with a warm greeting. "Hi, P'Tay! What a pleasant surprise!"

"Namtan." I nodded in response to her greeting, and she selected the eighth floor before turning her attention back to me. The elevator hissed as it moved upwards.