10-The Mergers

"They feared me because I feared nothing."
- Lydia Lunch

~~~~
Tay

I received ten fucking missed calls from my father. He's probably just trying to get on my nerves. Nonetheless, I proceeded to put on a black Stefano Ricci leather jacket over my plaid shirt, a thoughtful gift from my mother with specific instructions to wear it on a special occasion.

Ironically, I wore it today, not due to any significant event but rather as a means to hold onto something precious. It happens to be my engagement day, symbolizing a commitment to a future marriage and the formalization of a contractual agreement.

I always have to listen to my father, whether I like it or not, even though I want nothing to do with marriage, because marriage in my eyes is just a waste of time, like how do you swear your love to your partner by a few vows at your wedding day. I don't believe in love either, but I have my father to blame for that. His disregard for our well-being, coupled with his insistence on excessive training and the notion that men must constantly fight and strive, has left a profound impact on me.

I do not share my father's belief that men are inherently stronger or superior to women. I disagree with such gender stereotypes and consider them to be unjust and unfounded.

I cannot bring myself to return my father's call. I refuse to do such a thing. I will let him continue calling me, but I will not answer.

The phone continued to ring, causing great frustration. It might be best to turn it off. I retrieved it from the nightstand and noticed it was Niran calling. Why would he be calling me so early in the morning?

"Someone better be dead!" I exclaimed.

"Sir, we've got a problem. He is heavily drunk and refuses to speak," Niran conveyed through the phone.

I became even more annoyed. "Who is drunk? What exactly are we discussing, Niran?"

"Sir, it is the individual who contacted us regarding the pamphlet of your mother."

Ah, that wretched person. He owes me a significant amount of money, although it does not greatly impact our lives. However, money is money, and my father places great value on every penny we earn. If he were to discover that I have engaged in foolish behavior behind his back, he would surely reprimand me severely.

I took a deep breath to calm myself, feeling the weight of the situation resting heavily upon me. "Finally, it is about time! Can you handle the matter on your own, Niran? My father specifically instructed me to stay at home. Today is the crucial day of our engagement, and I am unable to join you at this moment. Take action and make him speak, but refrain from causing him any harm. Not yet."

Niran let out a weary sigh through the phone. "Sir, we have exhausted all our efforts thus far. We even resorted to pointing a firearm at him. Regrettably, he remains silent. It might be best to retain him in our custody for the time being. We can attend to him later."

I shook my head determinedly. "No, I shall proceed to the location. Instruct our men to maintain their positions."

"But, sir-"

"No, Niran. We must handle this matter promptly. I cannot let such behavior go unpunished. He must face the consequences for his deceitful actions. Wait for me; I'll arrive shortly."

"Very well, sir."

I ended the call, swiftly left the premises, and ensured that I went undetected. As I reached the parking lot, my driver was already there, ready to assist me. I quickly embarked on the journey, my mind filled with a mix of anticipation and resolve. The destination was a dimly lit basement, where a man in his mid-fifties was bound to a chair, bearing the visible marks of a fierce struggle and the unmistakable scent of alcohol.