2-The Portrait

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."
-Edgar Degas

~~~~~

Tay

"The portrait is here, Tay." Off's voice reverberated across the mansion hall as he pushed my bedroom door wide open.

"Oh, my eyes!" He exclaimed, quickly shielding his gaze upon seeing me half-naked, still wearing only my boxers.

"Che vuoi? I would appreciate it if you knock instead of barging in." I shouted furiously.

Rolling his eyes at my outburst, he replied, "Your Royal Highness, please forgive me."

"Shut up, Off!" I snapped at him.

"Okay, okay." He chuckled, undeterred by my anger, "The portrait you requested is here. Get dressed quickly. You'll love it for sure!"

"Okay. Now get the hell out of here!" I shouted, loud and clear for him to hear.

"Why? Let me see those six-packs." His eyes travelled over my abdominal muscles.

I glare at him. "Get out, Off. I won't repeat myself."

"Alright, Theos! I'd better get outta here." He inclined his head at me and disappeared behind the door.

I dressed quickly in my black gym wear, taking it out from the hangers. Before heading downstairs, I made sure to grab my cell phone.

My expectations were not particularly high, as I wasn't very excited. The artist I had suggested was indeed famous in Thailand, but his identity remained officially unknown despite his global following.

Upon entering the foyer, Off greeted me with a smile and proceeded to lead the way. I followed obediently.

My secretary, who was waiting for us, bowed to me and I nodded in response. "Have you completed your tasks for the day?"

"Yes, sir. I have even scheduled your meeting with Marco Romano for Monday at 10 am in the main office," he informed me with his head slightly bent down.

"Very well, Niran. You may leave now," I allowed, gesturing for him to go. He quickly exited, offering a brief expression of gratitude.

Looking around with curiosity, yet maintaining a stern face, I asked, "Where is it, Off?"

"In the art room," he responded curtly.

Moving swiftly to his left, Off opened the large door, revealing a white, cluttered room filled with canvases, paintings, and antique vases. The room was elegantly illuminated by direct lighting and long windows. At the farthest end of the room, there was a sink with a sealed surface.

The smell of paint and varnish filled my nose. A wave of nostalgia swept over me as my eyes lay on the large canvas in the centre. The line, medium, colour, light, space, composition, and style. Everything was perfect. Another canvas, smaller in size, was placed beside it. It appeared rather naive, like the work of a child. I have kept it safe, Mom. I have kept my promise.

I swiftly moved towards the paintings. Tracing the name written at the corner. Jooy. I glanced over at the smaller painting, Kao, it read.

I heaved a sigh before turning towards Off. He was already staring at me, a small smile plastered across his face. I raised my eyebrow, looking at him inquisitively.

"The only time I see your face softening is when you're here. Only these paintings have that effect on you. Nothing else." He chuckled softly.

"Wouldn't you get affected by these?" I queried.