13) AN UNEXPECTED MEET UP

Chapter B

ORIGIN OF THE BROTHERHOOD

Part 5
AN UNEXPECTED MEET UP

Despite being aethist and communist leader, dad always loved their Eid celebrations. Those were the sole occasions when his whole family get together under the shades of gigantic 'Arakkal bunglaw'and he gets to meet them all.

Suhra loved to meet together with our cousins and enjoy, while I often stayed with mom.Because most of his relatives hadn't accepted us to the better.

That year we had an invitation to attend the house warming ceremony from my beloved shaila aunt. So we gathered in her house at cherukara with all those wearing traditional hijabs and hats.

Wide varieties of Arabian cuisines awaited us in her long buffet and my favourite was the 'Malappuram Dum biriyani'. Its tight seal while cooking makes it the most flavoured dish for my people.
Unfortunately when I went for my second turn with my sister next behind me, I made a mistake. The glass containing Sharbat fell on the floor and people noticed me firstly.
"Who is this kafir?" Someone mumbled as I wasn't wearing a veil over my head.

They dared raising voice against me once they knew my dad.
Unfortunately I had spilled them to the shervani of another boy who stood next to me.

"Sorry." I said and tried wiping his clothe with my empty hand.

"This is what happen when you invite outsiders." Saddhiq uncle, suhra's dad shouted and it went straight to my mom.

Since the time we arrived for this function, insiders were giving pity looks as if we were aliens in their planet.

Mom started hating ignorance and bursted out of the room.

Seeing this I had to leave my tasty food aside and run to console her. Before I could reach out, the boy called me from behind.

"Dear, that wasn't your mistake at all. Have your food."

Ignoring the stranger I ran straight in to aunt's room as I knew that would be an ideal place she might find solace.

"However great your dad become, they can't accept us." She whispered in to my ears and I started hating every second person I saw next to us.

I found it was time to talk about this to him. I left that room determined enough to tell him his people have been insul us. But for a thirteen year old girl mind keep swiping from pages to pages.

I forgot to speak what I meant to, when dad introduced me to Jeevan uncle, his college friend.

When he asked for his old classmate 'Sharadha' everything was back in to normal.
Mom got someone who would talk to her nicely. I looked around curiously for a little rascal who has been spoiling the show whenever I came with poor marks. He wasn't around any way. But I definitely wanted to ask him, what is so special in him.

In the evening while elders were all around resting in the sofas with ill fit bellies, we decided to play in the ground.

I picked my little cousins whom I made company with and walked in to the yard beside. But the place was already busy with boys playing cricket.
Those days they used self made bat cut out from coconut leaves and bamboo sticks as stump. With the seven rupee Pepsi rubber balls they made eden garden everywhere.

We sat outside for a while watching the game while someone hit straight over to my forehead and I started crying. Soon the whole boys gathered around me trying to make me calm.

"Please don't cry. If somebody hear they won't let us play again." The boy on whom I had already spilled sharbat asked.

I was damn frustrated this time that I had a spiking forehead and they care not to do something for it.
I increased my frequency to gather more attention.