17)THE MANANCHIRA CASE FILE

Chapter B

ORIGIN OF THE BROTHERHOOD

9) THE MANANCHIRA CASE FILE

Feb 21, 2007

The whole room was eagerly waiting to know what would have happened in a small street in heart of calicut on 22nd august 1996. Among those people around, I sat with dad hoping to see a trial for the first time.

Silence filled in from nowhere after the judge banged his table. A grand old man in his baldness, could reflect the entire crowd in front.

Mom stood up from a half broken chair to cross examine the prime witness. She looked gorgeous in her 'bat' mode, clearing the whisk of hair that fell over her brow.

"Yes Mr.Ali ,You're an active leader of League. Am I correct?" She asked as if she was deviating from his previous descriptions of a brutal lock up abuse.

He had just explained how jeevan uncle had treated the late Rajaselvan years back in his station. Since then people started believing his words.

The chief problem with the case was that there wasn't a witness to the event. According to jeevan uncle, he was attacked by four people who carried knives and cycle chains with them. In the struggle for defence and to protect his niece and three year old child, he stabbed one of them. It happened to be Rajaselvan, a notorious gangster in town.

Three of them were bedridden for months after the incident meanwhile rajaselvam died on the spot.

Investigations happened later couldn't find a clue about rest three who attacked them.

Instead the whole story turned upside down that uncle had a previous vengeance with the demised and that resulted in the assault.

He was suspended from service during the period of trial for almost two years. When he proved his innocence in a lower court and resumed in duty, they went to higher levels. They held raja as a martyr of political crime executed by police.

He had been on and off from the service for the past seven years for the same reason.

Now the prosecution have assembled to shout, he was a cruel officer to his convicts. The whole case went to heights of human right violation and mom had to rip one by one and prove the witnesses were either forged or biased.

"Yes ma'am." He nodded to her question with confidence.

"Can you tell me why you were in the police station with late Mr. Rajaselvan on 6 the august 1996?"

"Yes, I was arrested for an enquiry." He replied.

"Sounds interesting as it was the most famous 'Parlour case', the notorious rape case." This time her smile had a hidden trap kept for him.

"She is now fully charged." dad whispered in my ears.

"That was just an enquiry madam. I have already proved my innocence from the court." He tried to justify himself to keep up the credibility.

"You might have, dear. But it was Jeevan who arrested you as per the charge sheet filed by sub inspector janardhan.Am I correct"
For which he nodded and further she turned to the judge.

"So my lord, I would like to call up on retired sub inspector janardhan as exhibit D, to prove that this witness cannot be trusted. With your permission sir."

"Objection your honour." The public prosecutor stood up to block her move.

"Sir, this case has no relation with the parlour case. Defence is trying to deviate our attention forging new stories."