Chapter 6

Riley sat down next to Max on one of his couches, a three sitter. Max gave her a weird look but she didn't bother looking at him. She fished out her phone from her pocket and checked her socials.

Soon enough, Layla walked into the room carrying the tray of shots. She carefully placed it down on the table before tossing herself down next to Riley, an exhausted sigh leaving her lips. She fidgeted and played with her hands. Max tilted his head to the side and looked at her.

"What did y'all do?" He asked curiously as he eyed them both. Riley typed something into her phone before tossing it on one of the free couches. She and Layla glanced at each other before Riley looked away, turning to look at Max instead.

"We talked." She says simply, a serious expression on her face. "What's the reason for all of this?" She asked him as she got comfortable on the couch. Max let out a small sigh as he shrunk into the couch, a sad expression painting his face.

"Do you guys remember how we became a trio?" He asked quietly before slowly drinking his shot, which wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do.

"Of course, how could I ever forget that," Layla chuckled softly. She moved closer to the table and picked up a bowl filled with marshmallows from one of the many bowls of food.

"Three players at a college house party," Riley added with a small smile. She picked up a shot and downed it before moving back to sit on the couch. She looked at Layla and frowned.

"Candy and alcohol don't mix," she scolded, but still reached into the bowl to grab a few. She looked back at Layla and chuckled. "Don't sulk," she said, which made Max laugh at her.

"Not fair! How come you can mix but I can't?" She whined, which made them laugh at her even more.

"Wait! Wait, Riley!" Max tried to speak while trying to catch his breath.

"Do you remember how Layla used to sulk back when we graduated and she still had a year in school?" He asked before laughing. Riley chuckled lowly as she ate the sweets. Layla placed the bowl back on the table and reached for a shot instead, a small smile now on her face.

"In my defence, I was sad because I was the only one still stuck with homework while you guys were not and I didn't even have friends at school anymore!" She said, which didn't do much in stopping the two from laughing at her.

"Right, whatever makes you feel better Lay," Riley added as she drank a mouthful of her beer, swallowing it before snickering.

"You're just a big sulker," Max added with a wide grin. Layla scoffed.

"Right! How about we talk about how you two became friends, nerdy Maxwell!" She shot back, which made Max frown while Riley laughed heartily.

"You're mean," Max said, glaring at his friend. Layla smirked at him then reached for a bowl of cookies and started eating.

"Trust you to want to eat everything eatable here," Max chuckled, but Layla ignored him. Her focus was on Riley who was enjoying the feel of the cold liquid of her beer, her eyes closed as she hummed with a small smile. The latter felt eyes on her so she opened her own and looked at Layla, an adorably curious look on her face.

"What?" She asked, suddenly feeling aware of herself. Layla smiled widely, which made Max look at them curiously.

"You're just so cute," she said before she could stop herself, her eyes widening in shock when she heard Max cackle. Riley's face flushed.

"Careful, you don't wanna fall in love," she finally said with a small smirk as she looked away and drank the beer. Max chuckled, and Layla joined him with a giggle. But the words meant so much more to them than they made it seem. It was a short sentence that both women often used with each other in the past. After a hot makeout session, when one was complementing the other or when one longingly stared at the other, admiring them. The other would say these words and they'd laugh about it. Ironic really because they really did fall in love. Deeply in love.