Chapter 23

How does one explain to their creator that they were killed by a love they didn't even want? Jennie wondered as she stared at a poet who stood on stage in her Art house, reciting a poem about a broken heart. She listened to the words not only with her ears, but with her soul as well. They poured into her heart but still left her feeling empty.

"but my heart bleeds for a
love like the one we had..."

She felt like crying, sitting on the last row at the corner, face hidden under a large hoodie. It is annoying how life always seems to bring things that relate to your current predicament, perhaps as a way to either mock you, or break you even more. A month. That's how long it has been since she first heard the news of Layla's- as she soon learned her name, pregnancy.

"I can still see your face in
my mind's eyes,
And I wonder how I can smell
you in my room when your
beautiful self has never even
been there...

She blinks backs the rest of her tears, uses the sleeve of her hoodie to wipe away the ones that have already fallen. How possible can it be? For her to have let her go a few months ago, but sit in the house bought by her, crying over her. Did she never really let her go? Was her claim of accepting her loss just a lie? A way of trying to fool her heart and mind into thinking that all was well?

"And really I cannot get the
sound of your voice out of my
troubled mind..."

She thinks about her a lot lately, especially at night. Sometimes she wonders if she'd still have her, if she had given her, her virginity that day. But those thoughts are never solid because she knows how things were never about getting sexual with them.

"It is wrong, that I know,
But I want to drive up to
your house,
Knock on your door and
pull you into a strangling
hug as soon as your face appears,
Just so I can really smell you..."

The tears fall again.

"see you..."

Her heart feels heavy and she wants to run out of the building, but she doesn't.

"touch you..."

She listens on, hiding her face behind her hoodie.

"kiss you..."

More tears to wipe.

"love you"

Suddenly she feels as though it is her standing on the stage, reciting the poem in front of all these people so that they live as witnesses of a love she never wanted to have, but now wishes she had never lost.

"to keep you"

She sniffs silently, quietly. Just the sound her heart made as it continued to fall into an abyss of loneliness.

"to call you mine,
not only in my head."

Applause. Loud applause but she cannot bring herself to clap. So many people smiling, clapping, others with tears flowing down their faces. She wonders if those who cried upon hearing the poem felt as shitty as she did, or if they made the same stupid mistake of allowing their doubts steal away a perfectly imperfect love.

<>

Max looked at his girlfriend and smiled at her attempt of making him breakfast. Walking into the kitchen, he approached her from behind and gave her a back hug, pulling her against his torso.

"Hey baby," she greets him, giggling when he kisses her neck. He lets her go and leans on the spot next to her.

"Hey. What'u making?"

"I am not sure yet," she responds with a soft laugh, which makes Max laugh at her.

"Don't worry, you'll get it. You don't have to cook though,"