Chapter 8

A week went by without any communication between Riley and Jennie. The older woman sat on a single couch in Max' house feeling down. She was worried. She knew earlier on that the possibility of Jennie wanting anything to do with her after the end of their contract was close to zero, but it didn't exactly make her feel any better.

Layla walked into the room and halted in her steps as she watched the sadness that flickered in Riley's eyes as she checked her phone for the thousandth time this week. She walked closer and frowned when she saw the latter try to dial the number she had been trying to call for days. She was disappointed at the fact that she even memorised it. Getting closer, she snatched the phone from her. When Riley looked up in shock, she shook her head at her and went to sit down opposite her, separated from her by the empty coffee table. Riley frowned at her, but didn't say anything. Instead, she folded her arms with a small huff and sat back on the couch, frowning as she kept her eyes glued to the TV screen.

Max walked in as well, his phone in hand as he yawned. It was still morning but they were tired and drained from all the talking and drinking. They hadn't exactly done anything fun even though they very much enjoyed each other's company. He sat on the couch then laid down next to Layla, resting his head on her laps. She gave him a soft slap on his cheek, which made him grin adorably, before running her hands in his short hair.

Her eyes moved to a sad looking Riley. Max followed her eyes and frowned at the sight.

"Please don't tell me she's still moping over Smith's daughter," he said, turning to look up at Layla who met his gaze with an annoyed one.

"She is," she deadpanned. "Lord knows why."

Riley turned to look at them, the sad frown still on her face.

"I'm just worried, okay? She was cool with me and all then suddenly she goes MIA. What if something happened to her?" She snapped, her eyes glaring at her friends. Max closed his eyes for a few seconds, enjoying the feeling of Layla's fingers massaging his scalp. Layla gave Riley a stern look that made her blink.

"She gets your calls. That much is evident. She's very much active on Instagram but hasn't responded to anyone of your calls or texts. I think the answer to that is pretty obvious here," she bites back, the words coming out harsher than she intended. Riley froze then, her expression shifting from sad to disbelief. Max's eyes flew open and they both stared at Layla who seemed indifferent.

"What?" She asked, shifting her eyes to Max as she moved her hand from his head, which elicited a small whine from him.

"Your friend here wouldn't stop checking her phone every five seconds so I had to do something. She posted a jolly picture of herself with some other girl recently. Mind you, by recently I mean this morning," she continued, trying to justify her stalkery. She returned her gaze to Riley. Her eyes soften and so does her voice.

"She's enjoying her life without you. It's time you return the favour."

Riley stayed silent, a million words and emotions passed between her eyes and Layla's as they kept a meaningful stare. Max sat up then and sighed, which brought the attention to him.

"We need some fun. We're throwing a party this Friday and I'm inviting all our old and new party animals. I'm tagging you both. I don't want to hear any whining or complaining from any of you," he deadpanned, standing up with his phone.

"I'm going to make calls right now. After that, we'll find a nice spot and someone to snap a picture of our trio. After that, I'm posting it on Instagram." After that, he was gone from the room. Riley and Layla stared at each other for a second before Layla stood up. She really couldn't stand seeing Riley mope over another girl when she's available and totally willing to give her all the attention and love she seeks. She knows it in her heart that the love she feels for Riley is reciprocated by the latter, but she also knows that Riley is afraid of being with her again. Not that she blames her though. Afterall, she's the one who stalled for so long. Being friends was already hard for the older woman and Layla didn't want to push her, lest she loses her again.