Chapter 21

Friday morning, a beautiful day for those with plans, and just another normal day for those without. A good day. If not because it signifies the end of a hectic weekday, then because it is the start of the chill mode of the weekend. Either way, a great day to either go out and have fun with friends or just chill at home and watch movies in the comfort of your couch.

So many plans, so many things to do that would bring one's dull mood high up in the clouds, so much that they forget about any sorrow or stress.

So many things to do, yet Layla finds herself sitting in a very uncomfortable chair, locked inside four walls dull enough to send anyone into a sudden panic attack.

She felt nervous, restless. Her clothes felt too tight but also too loose. Too thick yet too thin. She wasn't sure which was louder between the drumming of her heart, and her breathing.

She felt her own anxiety threatening to choke her, to strangle her so that she falls into the bliss of a darkness that comes too short but provides mental rest before confusion.

But then a hand holds her own. Careful, cautious. Soft, gentle. Her eyes stop with their room scanning mission and fall into an ocean of calm black eyes. Her heart skips a beat and she just wants to cry. Partly because of the anxiety she feels, but mostly because no one has ever made her feel so much with just one gaze.

Riley, her Riley.

"It's okay, you're okay."

She feels her heart settle into a calmer rhythm, melting at the soothing voice of her lover who doesn't let go of her hand, sitting next to her, close to her. As if to say that being too far away may cause the ending of the world to come sooner. And Layla feels her love for her expand beyond the normal measure.

"I love you."

She smiles upon hearing the whisper sent her way, accompanied by a gentle stare and a small adorable smile. She cannot stop herself, doesn't want to. Moving forward to capture her lover's lower lip into her own, the latter kissing her back with closed eyes. Bliss, pure bliss as their eyes remain closed, lips still glued together like a tattoo on skin. Like two missing puzzle pieces joining together in a beautiful way without the backgrounds of their board. Suddenly, they are both dancing in one dream as they kiss, sinking into one world. A world of love. Genuine love. Limitless love. Dangerous love.

Audible clanging brings them out of their bliss and they slowly pull away, as if moving away means gaining oxygen when none of them want to breath yet. Riley places a feather-like kiss on her forehead, and Layla cannot help closing her eyes because the simple singular act alone is enough to turn her cheeks a lighter shade of red.

Soon, the door opens and both women turn to face it in anticipation, standing up from their chairs with their eyes glued to the door. Soon, their hands part as a woman walks in, accompanied by a guard.

Staring at them both, her dull eyes brighten up and she smiles, impatiently lifting her handcuffed wrists to the prison guard who quickly removes them before quietly leaving the room, not bothering to remind the three women of the limited time they have.

Mariposa, still looking young despite the years that have passed, faces them again. Her eyes first land on her daughter who walks closer to her, before drifting to the nervous looking young woman who stays rooted on the spot in which she stands, eyes cast to her pink sneakers as if they were the most interesting thing in the room.

"Mom," Riley greets her in a polite tone, and her eyes quickly turn to look at her.

Her face breaks into a wide smile and she takes a step closer to her daughter, contemplating on whether or not to give her a hug.