Chapter 25

Jennie looked at the beautiful watch that lay wrapped around her left wrist, eyes burning from all that crying.

"You love her more than me, don't you?" she asked quietly, eyes moving up to look at Riley who stood in front of her. Riley didn't shy away from the look, instead, she met it with an equally emotion-holding one.

"If I am to start to explain, will you understand?" she asked, and Jennie let out a soft chuckle of mockery as if to indirectly respond to her question.

"Probably not, but you can certainly try," she said as she got serious again, her gaze on Riley intensifying by the minute.

Riley opened her mouth to talk but was interrupted by same Jennie who asked for an explanation.

"On second thought, don't tell me because I don't see what difference it will make. I don't think I can survive hearing you tell me that you love someone else more than me, nor can I move on if you tell me otherwise so please, keep your explanation," she cut in, standing up from the bench.

"Nini wait," Riley tried to make her understand, but was met by an angry glare.

"Don't call me that. Don't you dare, Riley!" Jennie snapped, shocking herself and the latter.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Just- hear me out," Riley carefully said, hands up in surrender as she took a step forward, the latter moving back.

"I don't want to hear you out! Don't you understand? I don't want to hear any of your explanations because I don't need them! And I certainly don't need you!"

"Then what do you need?"

"For you to stay the fuck away from me!" Jennie yelled, catching the attention of passers-by.

Silence, deep silence interrupted only by the sound of walking and that of the animals of the night that indicated the end of evening, and the start of night. Riley's eyes watered, but she didn't cry, she didn't let them fall. Jennie's own tears were out again, staining her face which, just a few hours ago, wore joy.

" Okay," Riley whispered audibly, painfully. "Whatever you want," she continued silently, before turning around and walking away.

Jennie felt the sting of the words. "Whatever you want," they rang in her head, like a bad song that just wouldn't leave her memory. Because wasn't she the one who pushed Riley away after leading her on? What explanation was she expecting from the latter, really? A reminder of her mistake? That every single time the latter reached for her, she pulled away. Because if she were to be honest with herself, she was the one who owed the latter an explanation.

As she stood there, a tough-looking woman dressed in a uniform approached her, armed. she recognised the formal attire. Guards of the Browns.

" Good evening miss. I've been assigned to make sure that you get home safely," the guard said, and Jennie felt herself get even more emotional. Riley, selfless Riley.

########

Layla was extremely agitated, walking up and down hers and Riley's room mummering questions Max would describe as silly. Just as she almost left the room, the door slowly opened, making her halt in her steps. An angry expression soon took over her face when she saw that it is Riley, but it quickly fell when she saw the state of her face and how she looked painfully defeated and emotionally scarred.

"Where have you been?" she asked, but the question was not as harsh as she had, just a minutes ago, wanted it to be. It was soft, gentle. Riley didn't meet her eyes, her gaze on her feet as she stood rotted next to the door.

"Check your phone," she whispered, her voice sounding like that of one who is trying hard to hold in her tears. Layla didn't waste any time and immediately searched for her phone. As soon as she found it, laying untouched on their bed, she opened it and was shocked to see the text Riley sent her. Although the text didn't specify much, she already knew that Jennie was the reason why her lover was in such a heart breaking state.