Chapter 24

Blue sky, blooming flowers. Just a perfect day for a drive around town. Riley needed to think, to be away from her lover whom she had been clinging to for days now out of the constant feeling of dread and fear that always overwhelms her whenever she thinks about the possible outcome of Layla's pregnancy. She needed to be alone, but fate had other plans because as she drove past a rather familiar park, driving slowly while playing slow piano instrumentals to soothe her aching heart, her eyes spotted a familiar face. Too familiar.

Parking her car, she rolled down her window and squinted her eyes to see the person better.

"Jennie?" she whispered in question, sighting the devasted young woman who sat isolated on a bench under a huge tree, silently crying as she stared at the moving clouds scattered around a blue sky.

She recognised the park to be the one that, a year ago, was her last surprise to the younger woman. The park where they watched the sunset. The park where she let go of Layla, then accepted Jennie into her heart.

Their park. Hers and Jennie's park. She couldn't help but question why Jennie was in this same park, sitting alone and isolated from the rest of the people in it.

A curious expression replaced her sad one as she unbuckled her seatbelt and slowly exited her car, feeling worried but sceptical. She wanted to know what bothered her ex fiancée, if truly she was seeing right, in case she could help.

She took in a deep breath then exhaled before walking over to the bench. The closer she got, the more convinced she was that she was seeing Jennie and as she stood at the foot of the bench, watching as sad eyes turned to look at her in a sudden move, lie the latter just discovered something.

"Riley?" Came Jennie's voice, her body shooting up from the bench as she helplessly tried to wipe away her tears, sniffing.

_______

Layla felt sick. Not because of her already showing pregnancy or her mother-in-la who kept smothering her with care and love, not of her overprotective father-in-law and his annoying bodyguards. Not of Max and his sweet girlfriend who just came by bearing countless gifts and very delicious muffins.

No. Layla was not sick of any of these people who showed their suffocating excitement for her pregnancy. Layla was sick, albeit crazily so, of her lover- Riley. Riley was missing. Well, she did mention going out for a drive to clear her head, but still, it had been three hours already and she was still not back. It isn't like the latter wasn't responding to her texts, Layla was just too irritated to even think about calling, or checking her phone which had a very short but detailed message from Riley that said "Be back a bit late. Ran into Jennie, wanna make sure she's okay. Let me if you need anything. I love you".

_______

Riley watched as Jennie threw away her now empty ice cream cup. She looked a little more alive now that they had talked. Well, not exactly talked because Jennie refused to tell Riley what it is that bothers her. But after Riley bought them ice cream cups and told her how work was going, specifically with their shared company, Jennie seemed to lighten up. She too started talked about the progress of her poetry house.

Riley smiled at the younger woman as she turned to face her, smiling that cute smile of hers. Riley felt her heart swell, but she reminded herself of how much she used to want the latter, using that as her reason for the feeling of home she felt. But then again, it was no secret that Riley loved both women, regardless of how impossible people think it is for one to love two people at once.

"I have an idea," Jennie said, bringing her out of her numerous thoughts.

"Tell me," Riley said, chancing a small smile to try and hide the worry brewing inside of her. She wondered why the younger woman's eyes lacked their usual light, and she hoped that she was not the reason.

"Come to the house," Jennie suggested, a kind invitation. Because that has been something she has wanted to happen for so long- seeing Riley visiting her poetry house.

Riley thought about it for a while, not quit show of how to respond. Jennie, upon seeing the struggle in the eyes of the latter, gave her a soft smile.

"It doesn't have to be now, just, whenever you're ready," she said.

"Okay," Riley responded, letting out a short breath of defeat with a small smile.

"I'm guessing that you have to leave now, huh?" Jennie said, her smile dropping the slightest bit, but Riley still noticed.

"I hope to see you again," she responded without thinking, surprising them both. Jennie visibly took in a breath and as she let it out, it was though the wall of a waterfall bust open, and her tears rushed out under closed eyelids.

Riley felt her heart rate quicken in panic and worry. Without thinking, albeit again, she gently pulled her into a tight hug. Jennie's body racked with sobs, and Riley tried her best to calm her down, whispering soft words as she rubbed her back, kissing the top of her head. At that very moment, Jennie felt a poem brewing inside of her, and she let her heart recite it out loud for Riley to hear for fear that such opportunity may never come again.

"Roses do bleed, don't they?
They cry a river of green that
is sucked into their roots,
Hidden from prying eyes,
How then am I different
from a rose?
Have I not hidden my heart
from your soft hold?
Did I not slip away from
your warm arms?
I have broken your heart
before,
Just as the rose has cut its
owner with its thorns,
Does he then let it go?
Does he then abandon it?
Throw it out for the dogs to
chew on and the rain to
wash away?
He doesn't, does he?
So why then have you
abandoned me?
Why have you left me?
Please tell me, Riley, for
I wish to know why
you let me slip away,
I need to know why you
allowed me snatch away
my heart that beats for
you from your hold?
If truly you ever loved me,
Then why did you let me
let you go?

Don't get emotional on me. No, I'm not crying, you are. I didn't proof read, I apologise for any mistakes.