Chapter 18

Layla threw herself on her couch and let out a small sigh.

"How fun," she said dryly, her voice thick with sarcasm as she glared at her friend Max. The man chuckled and sat down next to her, laying his head on her shoulder.

Because none of them had any ideas on how to pass time while waiting for Riley, Max suggested that they take a walk around the neighborhood. That being an idea that led to them getting a lot of compliments on them being a "cute" or "adorable" couple.

While Max found it funny, Layla was not at all pleased and decided, right after getting more compliments from a jogger, that she was walking back to her house and was done with walking around her neighbourhood with Max.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they got a scare from some vicious looking dogs who almost chased after them if not for the chains that held then back and a large wire fence that kept them locked inside their home. All in all, not a good day for Layla.

"Come on, it wasn't that bad."

"Right. Because you're my 'strong looking boyfriend who's sweet for walking me home' trash!" Layla responds in a quote of something said by a couple they met on their little walk.

Max laughs while she huffs out in annoyance.

"You're just mad because they matched you with me, not Riley," he states, but Layla doesn't respond to his little comment.

"I'm so hungry," she says, almost in a whine, and Max moves from her.

"We should make something to eat," he says happily with a wide grin, which earns him an eye roll.

"You mean I should make something to eat," she corrects, but doesn't mean it in a bad way. Max's grin widens and he attacks her with a hug that makes them fall back on the couch.

"Dude!" Layla scolds but breaks out into fits of laughter as she tries to fight her goofy friend off of her. Max cackles at her struggle, knowing that physically, he has more strength than her.

Their little play is disturbed by one of their phones beeping. Max moves from Layla, sitting up to check his phone.

"It's not mine," he says, turning to eye the Latter.

"Check your phone. It could be your dominant daddy," he teased, smirking at the latter. Layla playfully rolled her eyes at him as she reached for her phone.

Indeed, she had a text from Riley asking of their whereabouts. She texts her back quickly then puts her phone away, smiling to herself.

"Lord of gays! You're so in love with her, aren't you?" Max asked, a smug expression on his face. Layla looked at him and blushed hard, but refused to respond to his question.

"I'll go make something for us all to eat," she said, standing up and walking out of the room. Max followed her with a laugh, ready to tease her more.

Soon enough, Riley arrived at Layla's place. Without wasting much time, she let herself in and looked around.

"Guys?!" She called out to them, making her way to the kitchen upon hearing their voices and laughter.

Max was the first one to see her when she walked in.

"Oh, hey man."