Chapter 22

Riley eats her food in silence, her eyes not moving from Layla who is happily chatting with the rest of their friends and family. Her mother and father share knowing looks and smiles, convinced that their daughter has never looked so in love. But they do not comment on it.

"Okay, everyone, we have news," Layla says with a bright smile, her eyes shining with excitement as she turns to look at her lover, who cannot help but smile at her. The table falls into comfortable silence as they all listen on in curiosity and genuine interest.

Riley places her hand palm up on the table for Layla who quickly takes it. She nods at her, a silent sign of permission for her to continue. Because although Riley is a bit scared due to the news they are about to deliver, she knows how happy and excited Layla is and could never dream of ruining that for her.

Layla turns back to the others and takes a deep breath, and Riley thinks that she looks so grown now. Not in a physical evaluation. Of course, that one is not up for debate because her lover sure is a sight for sore eyes. Beautiful, mesmerizing and so damn sexy when she's in her "bad girl" vibes. But the growth is that of her mind, Riley thinks. Because the Layla of now is in a better place in life. Yes, she often has hiccups like when a few days ago, she cried over the news of her mother having a child that none of her family members were too bothered to tell her about. And on days when she doesn't feel pretty, strong, worthy of love and kindness, Riley tries her best to make her feel better. That "look into my eyes and watch how I see you" always works. Because really, if Layla could see herself through her lover's eyes, she would understand why the world labels her as "too much". It's because they cannot handle her power. Because Riley really does admire her, all the time. She adores her more and more each time their eyes meet and she shows her that cute little smile of hers because Riley cannot, for the life of her, understand how she can still make her lover blush like a little girl even after all these years. Perhaps it is by charm, but probably by love.

Or power. That's how she sees it sometimes. She gives up power to Layla, and Layla does the same. They become vulnerable to the other, and that's what keeps them so connected, so in love. Being fearless and free enough to show your vulnerability to your lover.

Trust? Yes, that's what it is. Trust.

Watching her still, Riley lifts their held hands and kisses Layla's hand, and when the latter glances at her with her cheeks tinted pink, Riley wonders if the beers have started working because it looks like Layla, her Layla, just turned into an Angel and she wants nothing more than to pull her upstairs and make love to her. But she holds herself, and as if sensing her need, her lover squeezes her hand without looking at her, the act making her heart melt into jelly. Not quite soft, but also not stone.

"Well? Tell us then, the suspense is killing me!" Max speaks up, well, more like whines. The table erupts into laughter and it feels like the world just went wild because Riley cannot remember the last time her house, albeit home, was filled with so much life.

Max's girlfriend- Melody, gives him an amused look and he grins at her. Layla takes another breath, because under all the happiness and excitement lies nervousness and a fear. A bone chilling fear. But she pushes the dampening emotions away and smiles widely, no longer able to keep the news to herself.

"Riley and I," she starts, glancing at her lover again only for her blush to deepen when she sees her lover still looking at her with those hungry eyes that always make her feel all hot and bothered. She gulps subtly and clears her throat, looking away from her lover to save what little self-control she has left.

"We're having a baby," she says, and as if Christmas just came came early, everyone's eyes widen, mouths open and the women soon squeal in excitement.

The hands of the two lovers part as everyone excitedly stands to embrace them in tight hugs. Whispers of congratulations and shouts of joy directed not only at them both, but to them all. United, a family. Happiness, excitement, peace.