Chapter 10

Riley drove into Max's place to see a lot of other cars littered around the yard. She parked her car then got her phone and car keys before climbing out of it. She closed the door and locked it.

She and her father had a really great conversation. He even offered to handle the client Riley was meant to meet for her just so that she could have enough time to prepare for the party. She had called her friends earlier on and they were very excited to see her. With her phone and car keys held in her hands, she slowly walked inside.

Loud music could be heard even from outside. She fixed her cap and pulled it down to hide her face. She didn't want anyone recognising her because she really had no energy right now.

Riley's outfit with a blue cap

She walked into the house and kept her head down. There were still a few people here since the party just started, but she knew it would soon be packed.

She headed upstairs knowing very well that her friends were waiting for her in one of the rooms. Upon getting to Max's room, which was always a no-go area for those not part of their trio, she pulled down the handle and opened the door.

Layla was sitting down on Max's bed looking agitated while Max stood infront of her. They seemed to be talking about something. They turned to look at the door when Riley walked in, and Max let out a sigh of relief while Layla crossed her arms over her chest and frowned.

"You're late! We thought you bailed on us or something," Layla scolded, but her voice was thick with defeat. She spent hours worrying about whether or not the latter would really show up. Especially after everything that has happened.

"Why would I do that?" Riley asked in confusion as she closed the door behind her and walked further into the room, standing infront of Layla next to Max.

"Let's talk about it tomorrow. Today, we party hard like the party animals we are," Max said cheerfully as he grabbed his phone from the bed and walked to the door.

"Are you guys coming?" He asked, stopping only to look at his friends. Riley tried to walk to him but was halted in her steps by a hand grabbing hers. She turned to look at Layla who looked at her for a second before looking back at Max.

"We'll be down in a minute," she told him with a small smile and he nodded, opening the door and leaving. As soon as the door closed, Riley scanned Layla's outfit and smirked.